BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm finally installing a CF front lip that I've had sitting around for a while. It came with the car but I believe it's one of the eBay ones from Taiwan.

I used 4 x 3" and 2 x 2" bolts and just wondering if this looks secure enough for high speed driving.

http://i.imgur.com/GYrPMR4.jpg

Also in the middle of the lip there is a gap between the lip and bumper, I'm a little worried this gap will cause wind noise when driving. So i was thinking maybe i should either "pinch" the gap closed or force the gap to be wider so it does not cause any whistling.

http://i.imgur.com/x1DMS9G.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think you'll be good with what you've got there (bolt-wise). As for the slight gap, that's common and shouldn't cause any whistling or other. From above, you won't be able to notice or see that gap either. Smart of your to assemble it with the bumper off. Takes a little extra time but makes the install easier. Bolt up and enjoy your upgrade.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you'll be good with what you've got there (bolt-wise). As for the slight gap, that's common and shouldn't cause any whistling or other. From above, you won't be able to notice or see that gap either. Smart of your to assemble it with the bumper off. Takes a little extra time but makes the install easier. Bolt up and enjoy your upgrade.
Thanks, I appreciate the reassurance.

Next step is taking the lip off again and fixing the scratches, you can see some of the scratches on the left side of the second picture. I ordered a paint kit from automotivetouchup.com and waiting for it to arrive.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Not installed properly IMO.

No reason to use those big rubber gaskets and create that gap. Should be flush with the bumper.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not installed properly IMO.

No reason to use those big rubber gaskets and create that gap. Should be flush with the bumper.

Ok, i just stuck them there to demonstrate forcing the gap open, so they are not permanent. I will keep it to just the bolts shown in the first photo.

However the lip is not perfectly flush to the bumper there is a gap along the middle. Actually the bumper "dips" or flexes little bit in the middle so i guess it barely touches dead center but then gaps on either side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts