BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a pair of gruppe m style intakes from Evolve Automotive and must say how pleased i am with the results so far.
These intakes are very well made and have a dry filter element so no problems with fouling of the maf's. The sound they make is great when you really open the taps but at normal/motorway cruising theres no annoying droning, mind you my car is still running the original exhaust system.
While i was there the guys strapped the beast to the dyno and i was very happy as it confirmed that i'm one of the lucky ones with a beast that puts out more than the quoted bhp at 414. Evolve confirmed that this is one of the strongest M5 that they've seen.
I'll be running the carbon intakes a while longer to see if there are any issues with heat soak but in traffic today(M25) they performed faultlessly.
A very happy bunny, cheers Sal :applause:
Wane.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You have any pics?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Nice, congrats- where/from whom did you purchase the intakes?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are they real Gruppe M's or copies??
I think either real or copies use oil filter....and he mention his using dry one

So any pics ? :7:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Those look nice!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
looking good. i would go for something like this, but my exhaust is so loud i wouldn;'t notice any sound improvement. So probably going to go for the AA intake later on this year!

cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice...how much ??

But after many research....i think Dinan CAI is the only CAI i'll buy....

·
Registered
47 Posts
These intakes are very well made and have a dry filter element
So, I really like the way these look on the car and you've let us know how your car is performing with them. So I wanted to check them out. I looked at two different Gruppe m web sites that look "official". Both were raving about the K&N air filter an how it played into this solution.

What's up with that? You've indicated dry filter which the K&N isn't. Is this a change your mechanic did in light of the oil filter impact on the MAFs?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
You will also notice an improve in sound with the Dinan CAI...
Nice...how much ??

But after many research....i think Dinan CAI is the only CAI i'll buy....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The Dinan in my opinion is very expensive for some tubing and a couple of air filters.

I cannot really see the tubing being carbon fibre being of much help. In terms of outright performance they won't do anything over normal tubing.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The Dinan in my opinion is very expensive for some tubing and a couple of air filters.

I cannot really see the tubing being carbon fibre being of much help. In terms of outright performance they won't do anything over normal tubing.
Depending on what you mean by "normal" tubing, the carbon fibre tubes may be better at blocking out engine heat, i.e. acting as a heat shield to keep the air cooler for dense air, plus they look cooler.:)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Aaah....but you don't ever see them! :)

Once cold air starts passing through even aluminium pipes which are really hot everything cools down very quickly.

The sheer speed and volume of air passing through the the tubing is highly unlikely to even get slightly heated due to the speed it's at.

Even with GruppeM's which are semi open the intake temps drop dramatically once the engine is under load and car is moving at a slow speed.

I have tested alot of intakes and I can tell you now, $2500 for some carbon tuning and filters is NOT going to be any more effective than aluminium tubing and filters.

None of this is rocket science.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I agree but the dinan CAI is not just CF and airfilters:dunno:...it also consist of water shields, air duct and supply parts to relocate one of the pumps http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1135622&postcount=10 ...that's why it's pricey...I too have tested alot of intakes too, that's the reason i went with Dinan CAI is the amount of R and D they did and really felt the difference...

Aaah....but you don't ever see them! :)

Once cold air starts passing through even aluminium pipes which are really hot everything cools down very quickly.

The sheer speed and volume of air passing through the the tubing is highly unlikely to even get slightly heated due to the speed it's at.

Even with GruppeM's which are semi open the intake temps drop dramatically once the engine is under load and car is moving at a slow speed.

I have tested alot of intakes and I can tell you now, $2500 for some carbon tuning and filters is NOT going to be any more effective than aluminium tubing and filters.

None of this is rocket science.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I want pics of the ESTORIL BLUE M5.

I LOVED that color when I was searching for e36 M3s.

Hit me please. HARD.

Edit: Just saw your gallery. :drool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how much? do they suck air from the bottom or the engine compartment
They cost £600 and so far are performing faultlessly. They come alive around the 4000 rpm range and the noise is delicious. Throttle response feels snappier, with no difference in mpg.
The carbon finish is not great and could be better but i guess thats why they're so much cheaper than original Gruppe M's.
The major plus point for me is the dry filter as most kits on the market are oiled and may foul the air flow meter.
So overall if you're in the market for this type of intake system then i consider this one worthy.
Wane.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts