BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there one available for our cars? Looking at something simular to the ones run on the E30 M3's.

·
2,529 Posts
I am sure one could be fabricated from CF or Kevlar. All depends on the engineering design and skill implemented.

Note that car is running Alpha-N (or something similar) engine management. The AFM is removed. The engine management question is one to consider...keep the stock MAF and Motronic DME or go to a MoTeC or Autronic DME system.

Also keep in mind the resonance flap on the stock plenum...loss of that could be detrimental.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
...not to mention you will need it to be expertly tuned, no-one I know has done this modification, I rang a good tuning company up a few months ago regarding exactly this, they had only done it on the M3, and said they could "probably" do it on the M5 3,8. I dont know about you - but "probably" aint good enough - he also mentioned a higher fuel consumption and loss of driveability.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
But I bet it would sound awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
oh yes, it would be worth it just to hear the sound! especially through tunnels.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
We're all like kids sometimes..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leave it with me. I am thinking maybe a CF replica stock plenum, just for the insane induction noise that CF plenums have.

·
2,529 Posts
OZ///M5 said:
Leave it with me. I am thinking maybe a CF replica stock plenum, just for the insane induction noise that CF plenums have.

Would you implement the resonance flap as a part of the design.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The management aint an issue and getting it mapped isnt exactly hard.

Emerald ECU's are more than capable of running a 3.8 and Dave Walker is superb at mapping.

The problem is getting that **** air box made!

Sal

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Kempower - promised they would have a system tested and developed - ready to sell by September. I have e-mailed them to see how it is going if anyone is interested. I dont think I will go for it, but I will certainly relay any communications from them to you all.

If you want to contact them direct

www.kempower.be

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would like to see the a installation picture of this.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
They are listing Carbon air boxes for the M5's @ €2000.

No pics though.

·
Registered
868 Posts
M5touring reg said:
here comes a link with pictures of a -carbonairbox-prototyp
and another link with thoughts and inputs on subject of airfilters... -
I believe UUC wud have one if there wud have been a point....

http://www.e34m5.de/board/showthread.php?t=4911

If you build it they will come. Orders that is!

Must have the M5 Moniker built into it thought as with the current one.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I can't see the point in giving up the multi-path plenum on a street car. The potential top-end gains are not worth the loss of low-end power... and accepting the opposite means you should trade-in on a 540i and be done with it.

The factory M5 airbox is remarkably efficient, especially with the venturi lip. I may be doing some experimenting with an alternate (yet similar) design put together from our Viper components. While the component quality is top-notch, I will be the first to express genuine surprise if we get significant results on the E34 M5. The OE airbox is really just that good.

- Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts