BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all you E60 M5boarders. As some of you may know we are a new and growing company that produces quality hand made carbon fiber automotive products here in America. We have had a lot of different opinions on some of our other products showcased on here. So we thought while in the design stages of developing a carbon fiber rear diffuser for the E60 M5 we would ask the true critics to help us.

This Rear Diffuser will cover the entire underside of the car making it a full race style diffuser. We would like some of your commentary. Also what would be a reasonable price you would pay for an item like this. Please go easy, it's just a rendering.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Yes, exactly what I'm looking for!

Only concern is whether you can make them to clear the oval eisenmann pipes. That's all.

·
Registered
328 Posts
CF rear diffuser should be ~ 500 bux and not any more...

its a lot easier to make then a hood as far as fitment goes... so it shouldnt be that expensive...
+1. I am debating on switching my hartge rear diffuser out. I have looked at Vorsteiner, but I can't justify paying 1000.00+ for a rear diffuser.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm actually working on my own prototype (for myself) but this is exactly the idea I'm going for!
Something like the ALMS cars, as long as it fully functions (That's the big concern) then I would get it,

well, for 500-700 is what I would go for. Make it happen!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yes, exactly what I'm looking for!

Only concern is whether you can make them to clear the oval eisenmann pipes. That's all.
Ahmed get rid of the oval eisenmann tips cause there's no diffuser will fit on it :grinyes:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
My only word of advise is to not put out something cheap. If it's not high quality nobody will buy it. And if you fool some people into thinking so, word will spread very fast. Many manufacturer's believe that less expensive is best but I think most of us here are on a manhunt for high quality products since very, very few sell high quality parts.

I like the design your going for. I think that a lot of us will buy such a design you rendered which is like one that is on the SL63 or Vornsteiner M6 style rear diffuser. So I would suggest you look at both of those.

Looking forward..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just typed 2 hours of info and lost it by the backspace button. I'm so pissed it should be illegal. Ok here we go again.
CF rear diffuser should be ~ 500 bux and not any more...

its a lot easier to make then a hood as far as fitment goes... so it shouldnt be that expensive...
great I also want a different hood could you make those to :D

BTW: do not make those flaps go straight down but in a slope like the ferrari's got, like the scuderia.
Resectfully we would have to disagree. Working on projects underneath the car is much more challenging. If we could throw the car on a rotisserie maybe, but thats not going to happen.

Hoods if done properly are not impossible but time consuming. High end brands compensate for "composite shrinkage", chinese companies and knock offs don't. Composites made with resins all shrink. When a prototype(plug) is made from a stock hood it must be lengthened on all sides. This is to compensate for the shrinkage. When you make the mold(tool) from a composite it will shrink about an 1/8". When you make the composite part from that tool it to will shrink also about an 1/8". So when done properly the plug or prototype should be lengthened all around about 1/4". This is way cheap stuff has GAP CITY. Because the don't take the time and just make a mold off of a regular sized hood. Then when its done its like 1/8" on all sides too short.

A hood can be done but its something we didn't plan. Where on "earth" do you live. Please PM OP. Thanks

My only word of advise is to not put out something cheap. If it's not high quality nobody will buy it. And if you fool some people into thinking so, word will spread very fast. Many manufacturer's believe that less expensive is best but I think most of us here are on a manhunt for high quality products since very, very few sell high quality parts.

I like the design your going for. I think that a lot of us will buy such a design you rendered which is like one that is on the SL63 or Vornsteiner M6 style rear diffuser. So I would suggest you look at both of those.

Looking forward..
We pride ourselves as being the best and most functional. We have to prove it now. We are expecting to be copied by overseas companies. So to defend our selves we try to make our designs complicated and as of 4/21/2010 our products will be identifiable in the dark. This is to show our customers they not only have a great fitting and looking product but one that is unreplicable at close to replica prices. All made in the US of A.

Not even decent knock offs are under $500. To my knowledge. Now don't quote me...:) But this is a huge piece of CF. This part will be about the size of a trunk if not bigger and I know for a fact you can't find a 100% CF trunk for less then $1000. Like in this picture it will be totally flush and continue the curvature of the rear bumper. It will also fit in like a glove allowing NO air to get into the rear area of the car.
Being a small company our cost are high. We would like to get our name and reputation our there fast so we will be will to sell just a couple bucks over our cost. I don't see it being less than $1000. Its just not possible. I wouldn't cheat people after spending years trying to develop this company, so you can believe me that when we set a price, its one the is generous. Not one that's angled off estimated market value.

Sorry for grammer Im tired... Too many emails... :crying:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good idea to add more than just good looks (though it does look good!)

With the performance that the M5 is capable of and the willingnes of their owners to extract that performance, adding peices that may change the the stababilty at high speed just for looks could end up being very bad indeed. Just something you may want to think about.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Have you developed it in a wind tunnel for proof of concept or is it purely cosmetic.
Excellent point. If there's wind tunnel testing the price will reflect it.
Regarding the rotisserie comment, ever considered a lift?
I know the people at Champion very well and their Werk1 products are exquisite.
To the OP company, will the diffuser look sort of like this design regarding the undersurface?

Champion Motorsport - Werks1 Aero - Werks One Composites - 997.2 Rear Diffuser

Ranger

1 - 20 of 86 Posts