BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the ongoing interest in carbon fiber plenum covers on this board as well as in the numerous emails, PM’s, and phone calls that both Shadowman and I have received we are willing put the tooling to work making a short production run of the highest quality carbon fiber M5 plenum covers with the ///M logo inserted.

The carbon fiber material we use is of the highest quality available for this application and because we “DO NOT” clear coat them they will never yellow or crack as we have seen on most of the other covers currently available. The D/A cover is constructed of multiple hand laid layers of CNC cut pre-preg carbon fiber (no fiber glass used) which is then placed in the autoclave. During the initial lay-up of the carbon fiber specially machined stainless steel inserts are incorporated into the mold at each of the stud locations to make the installation and removal easy and also so that there is no deterioration at these points over time. Like many we too have seen many other covers that show their age rapidly because this process is not used. Once the cover has been removed from the autoclave/mold it is then hand finished and further machined to insure a perfect fit. The last items are the machined stainless steel indexing washers/inserts that have been designed to slide into the stainless steel insert that were bonded into the cover. This stainless steel insert has been designed and machined to self locate at a specific depth so that no crushing of the carbon fiber can occur, it also provides the proper indexing of the cover to the lower plenum, and because of the design there is even clamping all around, and thus the elimination of stress cracks around the securing studs.

As was shared in Shadowman’s earlier post, D/A has no desire to circumvent or to stop other wheels that are in motion to meets these request. Our only reason for making this post is because of the interest that continues to be solicited to us as well as the request for more information regarding our carbon fiber cover. We (as well as others that have received them) consider our carbon fiber plenum cover to be the finest engineered and produced piece currently available for the M5/Z8 enthusiast…..PERIOD…… Each of these covers is individually hand tooled and precision cut one at a time for a truly unique piece designed to last the life of the car, not simply a cosmetic piece.

In order for us to provide these covers at a significantly reduced price point a minimum number of 12 pieces in one style, either with or without strut tower brace provision needs to be committed to in advance. If the interest is there however 12 of one style can not be committed to then regretfully either the per-piece price will have to be adjusted or sadly we will not be able to offer this product EXCEPT as a boutique piece and then hand crafted for one customer at a time.

The cost for the piece is $1780.00 based on information we have shared.

Please post your interest or contact us directly.

Thank you fo your interest

Sean D/A

·
Registered
754 Posts
Is the $1780.00 the boutique price or the price if 12 people order?

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
Hmmm... sounds tempting. Would have the same volume as the oe cover or additional air volume. Can you give an estimate how much more it would cost if the 12 people don't turn up?
Mike

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mottati said:
Hmmm... sounds tempting. Would have the same volume as the oe cover or additional air volume. Can you give an estimate how much more it would cost if the 12 people don't turn up?
Mike
Additional volume, so it will work really well with velocity stacks.

The price will be dependant on the number who sign up.

Thanks for asking

Sean D/A

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
SuperCharged said:
Additional volume, so it will work really well with velocity stacks.

The price will be dependant on the number who sign up.

Thanks for asking

Sean D/A
Will the additional volume still clear the dinan strut tower brace?
thanks
Mike

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sean,

Being that I already have the velocity stacks (BTW, I am very happy with them)...Any idea on what type of performance increases we would get with increased plenum volume?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi Folks:

I will attempt to answer a few questions and clear the air without creating even more questions.

1. What would the piece cost if 12 pieces are not fabricated at the same time; unfortunately I can not give a firm $$ on this because there is no doubt that repetitive operations can reduce the cost significantly. One of the reasons that the number 12 was presented is because this was the number it take to produce the highest quality piece with all the machined pieces at a price point consistent with what others are marketing a similar piece.
2. Now to the question of increased volume, yes by design there is greater volume within the plenum “HOWEVER” this was done because of the need to do so with the Super Charged conversions not for the N/A applications. Will additional volume produce more power……. “Doubtful”.
3. Now to the performance benefits of a carbon fiber cover versus the OEM plastic or the cast aluminum piece. Again I share that because the cover may dissipate and not absorb as much heat one would think that denser air could result however the heat culprit is the lower plenum that is cast aluminum and in short order it becomes hot and will radiate heat……”throughout the plenum”. Having shared this I suspect that the performance benefits would not be measurable
4. Now to the clearing of the strut tower braces, yes as the picture clearly shows we have the ability to produce such a piece. At this time I have only produced 1 that was installed on Abdulla’s car.

No grandiose performance claims here, just a phenomenal looking and fitting pieces that for the right person adds a wonderful personal touch to an already wonderful car.

Just to share with all interested, we are in the process of fabricating two pieces with the clear lens and then I intended to put the mold away. Certainly I will retain them so that I can offer a service item to those folks that have had them installed on their cars both Super Charged and N/A but I had no intention of mass marketing these pieces.

As I have shared, if CA or ?? have a product that meets everybody’s need then gladly I will do as I intended and simply put the molds away. It is only because of the queries for this product that the time was taken to see what we can do to meet the product interest at a bit more aggressive price point.

There is no doubt that these carbon fiber covers look fricken stunning on the car. And what is even more important if you have ever had the opportunity to install carbon fiber on your cars, these covers have been designed and are fabricated with a long easy service life in mind…..not simply a designer piece…….

In this case form truly followed function because I have experiences the wrath of good looking but crappy carbon fiber pieces far too many times.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
159 Posts
Im in for one. Ive got the strut tower brace. I would like to keep it, but if the majority does not,I will take it off. I am sure this will be a nice piece as all of their products are top quality. Im sure the other companies products are great also. But I like dealing with companies here in the states, and Ive been very happy dealing with DA in the past.
Boz

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
I'm down for one which clears the strut brace... I too would also like to keep the brace if possible...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
shadowman said:
Hi Folks: " . . . No grandiose performance claims here, just a phenomenal looking and fitting pieces that for the right person adds a wonderful personal touch to an already wonderful car.

In this case form truly followed function because I have experiences the wrath of good looking but crappy carbon fiber pieces far too many times."

Take care Shadowman
Count ME in for ONE which clears the DINAN Front Strut Tower Brace.

The lack of FLEX and Stiffness that my car experiences and I enjoy with the installed Dinan Front Strut Tower Brace far out-weighs the "Bling" that a
CF Plenum that would NOT clear that Front Strut Brace. :M5launch:

That is why I WANT to keep the Dinan Front Strut Brace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.