BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I noted in another thread, Partee Racing had some CF lower plenums made for its E39 M5 endurance racer. Super light, complete heat rejection, and eliminates the damn TB gaskets or the need for plenum plates. We had four made and likely will keep three of them. But the fourth is available for sale if anyone wants it. We also can have more made rather quickly, as we paid for additional versions of the CNC metal ring that holds the stock plenum gasket to be made (that is the long lead-time piece). Obviously, for the street, holes will have to be cut and AN bulkheads installed for the idle air control valve air connection and, if you want to retain the stock PCV system, the oil separators. Regardless of whether you want one of these, enjoy the pics! I know I am!

--Peter

NB: Not suitable for forced induction, as it eliminates the use of the internal stanchions for mounting the plenum top.

Grille Hood Motor vehicle Black Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Musical instrument Wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks great, what are the benefits besides weight savings?
Thanks! As noted above, complete heat rejection. The stock aluminum plenum heats up with the engine and, thus, heats the air going into the engine. The CF bottom plenum avoids that altogether. Combined with deletion of the under plenum HEX, the impact on intake air temperature is substantial. Finally, there is additional volume in this plenum as a result of the deletion of the mounting stanchions, and because this plenum sits lower on the engine (bolting directly to the TBs), it permits usage of a larger plenum top that significantly increases the plenum air volume and permit usage of taller velocity stacks—all of which may or may not be a good thing, but to have the flexibility is key from a racing perspective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts