BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I talked to ca-automotive for the past week, and I'm going to get a CF hood from them based on the Hartge hood for the E39 (see picture). Price for a one-off, clear coated dry carbon fiber is about 1400-1500 UK pounds (not including shipping).. Fabrication time will be about 6 weeks. They said if more people are interested in the hood, they could do a lower price.. so curious if anyone else would be interested.

You can see their work at http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/

tfung

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would be interested in one without the holes. I guess that just makes it a regular hood though :p , so I'm not sure if it'll apply to what tfung is suggesting.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Do the scoops do anything, like can you make them go into the air intakes? Or are they just there to add drag? :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ca-automotive have regular E39 hoods in both fiberglass/CF and pure CF available.. check out their site through the link..

as for the vents, they don't really do anything... just mainly extra drag.. haha... hiha
engine cooling will be minimal through them.. but if you want, you can probably route your intake through that part.. maybe can do a true ram air thing with it... :7:

B

·
0 Posts
Nice looking hood. Those with the Dinan or GruppeM CAI should be careful with this hood, as the scoops will let water soak the filters. The resulting hydrolock would not be a fun $23,000 expenditure.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Carbon fibre parts for light cars make sense.... Not sure about the M5 it's a different animal in my view :M5launch: I would lighten the suspension brake parts, but losing a kilo or two here and there on a 1700kg car is pointless IMO. You will also need to be sure on the vent holes that they are at high or low pressure points....... You may find it hinders airlow to the filters rather than assists...

B

·
0 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
Carbon fibre parts for light cars make sense.... Not sure about the M5 it's a different animal in my view :M5launch: I would lighten the suspension brake parts, but losing a kilo or two here and there on a 1700kg car is pointless IMO. You will also need to be sure on the vent holes that they are at high or low pressure points....... You may find it hinders airlow to the filters rather than assists...
You would save about 40 lbs. with a 100 CF hood on the e39.

Cheer, Daniel.

·
10,455 Posts
doesn't e6 design have a very similar cf hood already available?

·
Registered
837 Posts
mottati said:
doesn't e6 design have a very similar cf hood already available?
Ya, if you go to their website they have a nice one, I personally I dont like the scoop in the middle in the hood, but their website says it will customize orders, depending on options you select price is 1895.00-2495.00, Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts