BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Man that sucks! What happened? Looking online there are a few ways it can be fixed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did you come back to your car and find it like that?! I'd be a little annoyed!
I think the whole roof may need to be stripped..........
Can you claim on your insurance?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
i had an identical thing - i followed a gravel truck and that happened didnt even realise until too late... ok so what you need to do is work out if its down to the weave - if it is you need the area re gel coated, then peal off the film clearcoat and get it re clear coated.

If it not down to weave pull it all off and just get re clearcoated... big tip peel off on a hot day massive chunks peel off rather than tiny bits...!

Dan

T

·
0 Posts
I would strip the whole thing and re coat it all. Otherwise it won't be consistent. That is nasty. No offense. I am sure you didn't do it on purpaoe

·
Registered
976 Posts
That is a serious abrasion. How did that happen?

·
Registered
301 Posts
The same happened to my friends E92 M3 with his carbon fiber roof. He had to ship the car to Germany, so BMW replaces the carbon fiber roof.

·
Registered
684 Posts
u can have it fixed don't worrier. u need to clean all around it with very low lvl sand paper then put on some very good carbon fiber poxy.
then re clear the roof, all of it. just what troy told u so it all match the new clear. call me if u like, I well tell u what u to do step by step.
323-509-7651 cannan

·
Registered
2 Posts
To be fixed properly, the entire roof should be sanded down to the bare carbon. There are usually several layers of clear coat that all need to come off for the new epoxy to have a uniform look. It looks like the worst part of the damage, however, may have affected the dry carbon fiber underneath the clear coat. If the fibers have been damaged, I don't think there is much you can do. Once all the epoxy is sanded off and a new coat of clear is sprayed on, even the damaged fibers shouldn't be all that noticeable I wouldn't think. I have a few spots starting on mine and was just quoted approximately $500 for the job. I have experienced the same thing on a carbon fiber spoiler on my old Evo. Looked brand new after it was all finished. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got same problem with my 06 Beast... All you gotta do is to take it to a body shop, have them sand down the rest of the clear coat, re clear coat it... Cost me $400...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts