BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused32000 M-5 all have a crankcase ventilation problem. This causes excessive carbon fiber buildup on the pistons. The result is the engine fails and or the piston rings have to be replaced. This stems from a design flaw. To replace a M-engine will cost approx. 20k. As a consumer who loves BMW's what can I do????

·
Registered
442 Posts
There is a gas additive that does clean engines extremely well and will lessen the carbon build up, if not eliminate it. I think it is called BK-44 and you might look on the web for it.

Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rick, Thanks for the tip. Do you know of any class action suit against BMW that is going on? The gas additivie might help but it would not fix the problem. This problem was designed into the engine and is a flaw. Andy Nilon

·
Registered
442 Posts
I do not know of any class action suit. In the early 90s BMW had to replace the 4.0 liter engines because the cylinder linings (nikasil, I think), did not work with the sulfur content that the US gasoline contained.

I have used the BK-44 in older engines with lots of carbon build up and it seemed to work well.

Rick

·
Registered
288 Posts
another remedy I heard is to red-line the engine every now and then therefore eliminating carbon build up. I was under the assumption that carbon build up only happens if you really baby the car

·
Registered
584 Posts
are you sure it's carbon fiber?

:confused32000 M-5 all have a crankcase ventilation problem. This causes excessive carbon fiber buildup on the pistons. The result is the engine fails and or the piston rings have to be replaced. This stems from a design flaw. To replace a M-engine will cost approx. 20k. As a consumer who loves BMW's what can I do????
hold on man...you should be happy if you are building up carbon fiber...people spend big bucks on that kinda stuff, you should tap this resource and sell it. as far as I know, there is a shortage worldwide. lol. i'm amazed nobody noticed the typo on this original post! lol. :hihi:

·
Registered
752 Posts
sounds like a bmw flaw... i also have a 2000 and will use that injector cleaner today... carbon:eek:h: build up is no good
and the redline line idea is good :hihi::M5rev:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hold on man...you should be happy if you are building up carbon fiber...people spend big bucks on that kinda stuff, you should tap this resource and sell it. as far as I know, there is a shortage worldwide. lol. i'm amazed nobody noticed the typo on this original post! lol. :hihi:
He he he...this is funny... carbon fiber... good sense of humor thou

·
10,456 Posts
yes, i have been harvesting carbon fiber from my 00 for a couple of years now, it is quite amazing, and has created a nice revenue stream.

Unfortunately, all years can suffer from carbon build up, not just 00's, big deal, get the software fix and go on with life. Replacing the piston rings will do nothing to change carbon build up, as it is not related to oil use. You may want to read thru a couple of the cbu threads for more information.

It's not related to crankcase ventilation either, provided you maintain the crankcase vent system.

·
Registered
241 Posts
you beat me to it.:7:

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is hilarious! :7:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Andy- I saw your post over on the main 'carbon build up thread'. Sounds like (1) you are mixing carbon build up in combustion chambers with carbon fouling in the secondard air passages; and (2) you paid to have your engine ripped apart. Where were you getting the information to take this serious step? Not here I assume. CBU is a fairly common problem, but not universal- you have already seen what BMWNA is doing to 'circle the wagons' and mount their defense. You're getting some real crackpots in this thread- read the older thread with some really good info in it... I know of no class action suits. A

1 - 17 of 17 Posts