BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and couldn't find anything of this nature so the question is:

Are you able to swap out just the Carbon Ceramic hat and rotors onto the existing brakes? I was under the impression the calipers are the same size and the hardware is the same (at least for MY14 and up).

I apologize if this has been brought up, a link that discussion would be great.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Assuming the brakes haven't been revised since the car's release, and I haven't seen anything to suggest they have, the answer is no for the front axle, but yes for the rear.

The carbon ceramic rotors are larger in diameter up front (410mm) as opposed to 400mm for the standard ones, and are also thicker. To compensate, the caliper is different to allow for the increased diameter and rotor thickness.

For the rear, the calipers are actually the same (besides color) but the pads are 1mm thinner per side to compensate for the ticket carbon ceramic rotor. The diameter is the same.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, this was the information I was looking for. Although I did hear they changed the axle for the front though to handle more of the stopping power from the Ceramics. Is the caliper absolutely different or is it just different mounting bells and pads to compensate? I apologize to sound like a broken record just want to cover all bases.

Assuming the brakes haven't been revised since the car's release, and I haven't seen anything to suggest they have, the answer is no for the front axle, but yes for the rear.

The carbon ceramic rotors are larger in diameter up front (410mm) as opposed to 400mm for the standard ones, and are also thicker. To compensate, the caliper is different to allow for the increased diameter and rotor thickness.

For the rear, the calipers are actually the same (besides color) but the pads are 1mm thinner per side to compensate for the ticket carbon ceramic rotor. The diameter is the same.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Thank you, this was the information I was looking for. Although I did hear they changed the axle for the front though to handle more of the stopping power from the Ceramics. Is the caliper absolutely different or is it just different mounting bells and pads to compensate? I apologize to sound like a broken record just want to cover all bases.
I don't see why the axles wouldn't be the same. The axle doesn't see any of the braking force as the torque is transmitted directly from the rotor into the wheel, since the wheel bolts onto the face of the rotor, in a sense (the rotor is sandwiched between the wheel and hub).

As for your caliper question...here is my response from above quoted below:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yes, I am guessing you are suggesting just replacing the discs, bells and pads?

what would the price be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts