BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like just about every other UK lister :), I'm looking to buy an E39 M5 (to replace my E34).

Of course, we are all looking for the exact same car - facelift, BMW warranty, all the toys, low miles, low price! (Note: If you are selling this car, please PM me!!!)

My favourite colour is Carbon Black, although (having had a Black Porsche 944 for 3 years) I am aware that Black is very difficult to keep clean.

At today's BMWCC meeting at Gaydon, I was talking to the owner of a Carbon Black M3 and he was showing me how the front of his car suffered very badly from stone chips. Apparently BMW used Grey primer, so this shows through the black very noticeably. There was a Silver M3, with similar mileage, next to the Black one, and (although it probably did have the same amount of gravel rash) it did not show the stone chips at all.

So - how do you Carbon Black owners keep your cars looking good? Armourfend film? Drive 500 yards behind any other cars on the road? Have a front end respray every 6 months?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't tale gate. Not talking about 500 yards but keep your distances and if you are on a poor road keep a bit more distance or overtake, you have the power.
And carbon black is suprisingly easy to keep clean. Easier than jet black.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With the road condition and the way people drives over here in Hong Kong, all I can say is I'm a stone chip collector :( At one point I swore I'd never drive another black car in Hong Kong, but the Carbon Black is just too much to resists... Oh well, at least my dealer would be happy with my periodicial visit for re-painting...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts