BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had new rims installed due to the service shop damaging the originals. Now there is a noticeable vibration in the driver's seat between 70-80 mph. It is slightly noticeable in the steering wheel as well. The car does not pull and the the tire pressure is set to the owners manual recommendations. I really miss my silky smooth ride. Any suggestions / recommendations?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It sounds like you may need to rebalance your wheels and tires. The vibration in the rear would be from unproperly balanced rear wheels while the steering wheel vibration would communicate unproeperly balanced front wheels. If the vibration goes away above 80mph, then it is definately due to improper balancing. Have the shop pull all the weights and completely rebalance all four wheels and you should notice a dramatic improvement. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I did have a vibration issue as well and found that the Hunter Balancing machine was not RECALIBRATED!!

This made every tire slightly off balance.

Since I had used the shop many times before and always had good luck, I went to another shop to re-Balance and found after returning to the initial shop that their machine was off!

I would have a reputable shop check the wheels, however it will be difficult to prove to wheel maker that you didn't run over a pot hole or similar... :sad3:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I'm assuming the new wheels are stock? If they are stock then you need to have the wheels re-balanced. If the wheels are replicas/aftermarket, unfortunately replicas/aftermarket wheels are notorious for not holding a proper balance. Good Luck keep us posted:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts