BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've got a problem with the Amp as I used to have to wiggle the wires at the amp now and again to get any sort of noise through the sound system.

I rmove the amp tonight and couldn't see any lose wires but in true M5 style all working fine until I hit the motorway and it's stopped making any sort of sound AGAIN....

Wiggle the wires and no sound...

What should I do??? :grrrrr:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
so orange light stayed on, and no sound? Did you check all sources - CD radio tape (?who plays tapes anymore) - nav, VR for phone?
Might be time to undo all the amp connections, check the pins in the connectors for fit, and put all the connectors back in again.
Could be bye bye amp.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried the fuse 7 & 41 thing no change (I was told to try this as sometime a jump start can fry the electrics) :confused2

I managed to get the amp out swapped the 10 amp fuse and tried to jiggle the pins everything looked ok reconnected it up was all ok. ouich

Even tried pulling the wires about while it was on just to see if I could find the offending wire, NOPE! all working so went out a run with the wife on the motorway for 2 mins and off it goes again, PAIN IN THE AR$E!!!:grrrrr:.

The orange light stays on but no sound via any of the sound modes.

I don't think I have DSP? How would I know or is that fix for all M5 sound systems? :confused2

What would an AMP Cost????? ££££:dunno:
or is it better going to and auto sparky?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
DSP should appear as an option on your main menu.
My conclusion here is it is the amp. Orange light staying on, and no sound output whatsoever.
New DSP amp might run you 400 stg.
Doug may chime in here sometime with some additional advice.......

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DSP should appear as an option on your main menu.
My conclusion here is it is the amp. Orange light staying on, and no sound output whatsoever.
New DSP amp might run you 400 stg.
Doug may chime in here sometime with some additional advice.......
400 STG ???
i'm in UK and does it have to be a DSP amp?

Making noise again but very intermittent :confused2

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
stg was my way of writing pounds as in pounds sterling (couldn't be fragged trying to find a symbol).
It is certainly easier, though not necessarily cheaper or better acoustically, to put another DSP amp in there, if that is what you have.
There are potential grounding issues, see numerous threads on this board, associated with installing aftermarket amps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts