BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD changer hasn't worked since I bought my car. When I cycle through the modes on the radio, it goes from radio to tape then back radio -- never goes to the CD. I posed this question a few weeks ago and someone suggested that the problem might be in the iBus connector. Yesterday I took the changer out, checked the connections, and didn't see a problem. There is the small coax plugged in, then the 3-pin iBus/power next to it, and the 6 pin connector has nothing plugged into it, which I assume is correct. The changer is getting power because when I swap magazines, I can hear it load the disc. In some emails with the previous owner he mentioned that the changer had been replaced twice.

Now, I don't really care about the changer as all of my music is on my iPhone/iPod. I have considered getting a DICE in order to play my iPod through it but I really don't need all the bells and whistles of the DICE. I just want to be able to listen to music without having to use the crappy FM transmitter that I'm using right now. Plus, if there is a problem in the iBus somewhere, I'm pretty sure the DICE wouldn't work either.

So here's my question -- is there a simple solution to add either an aux in or iPod connection to my standard factory radio? I don't care about being able to control it from the steering wheel or having the radio display the track name. I just want a connection from my iPod to the stereo. I have a Griffin iTrip that I can use with an Aux connector if necessary. I found that 2003 models and newer can have an aux port added fairly easily but my M5 is an '01 so I assume that isn't an option.

Any suggestions that anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
DICE or Intravee are iPod solutions that replace your CD changer. Intravee is WIDELY considered a much better product. I can add my experiences as 100% positive with my Intravee.

I LOVE it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on the Intravee. Unfortunately it looks like Alpine no longer makes the adapter that you need in order to use the Intravee so that might not be an option.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction in order to figure out if the problem is in the iBus somehow? I would hate to spend the money on something like the Intravee or Dice only to find out that they won't work either because of an iBus problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine did the radio/tape/radio a couple of times. Disconnect the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes. After I reconnected it would properly do radio/tape/cd changer once again.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
You need to test the iBus signal to the CD Changer 3 pin connector.

If you know a little about electronics you can make up a simple iBus interface quite easily, or you can purchase one from Rolf Resler that is a little more sophisticated. Download NavCoder from NavCoder Website the menu options under help give a schematic of a simple interface and a link to the Resler site.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You can also use the tape deck with an adapter for a little while until you get your thoughts sorted on which way you want to go. I used it when my cd changer died and it worked great with my iphone at that time and then later I decided to go full aftermarket and have never looked back.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I added an aux. output cable to my '00 (11/99) Beast when I upgraded to a later model BM53 head unit. I don't know if you have the C43 or BM53 module, but I believe you need a later BM53 module that is set up for the auxillary mode (I believe they were produced from 09/2002 -on). Since my early widescreen monitor does not have the required 3-pin slot in the back, I had to get the output kit for vehicles without nav (part # 82-11-0-149-390; $32 USC at www.ecstuning.com or $37 USC at this guy's eBay store, eluka_com or eluka888). The kit you want will be for E39s from 09/02 -on without nav. I think that's when the BM53 modules (which are locted in trunk, LH side for the M5) were given the aux. mode capability. If your WS monitor does not have the 3-pin slot, then you need the kit for E39s without navigation.

I followed instructions I received from a few here (thanks again) who gave me great instructions and from this forum for the E53 folks, www.xoutpost.com, on which pins to insert into the correct slots of the connector on the car's harness. I've also included an instruction sheet (.pdf) that I found that shows this in detail. I found it easier to remove the pins from the connector on the aux. cable and insert them into the correct pins of the connector that is already apart of your vehicle's factory harness.

It sounds daunting, but it's easier than it sounds. You just have to take your time. To remove the pins from the connector, I disassembled the connector (the connector is actually comprised of two [2] pieces that slide apart). I then used a very small, flat tipped screwdriver to release each pin (pressing gently into a slot on top of each pin) and then carefully inserted each pin into the proper slot of the connector that's apart of my vehicle's harness. You'll hear a tiny "click" when the pin is properly inserted into the connector.

The only downside is that you will have to run the cable from your trunk to your dash, or as I did, for now, I just run it from the trunk (I have fold-down seats) and stash it away if I'm not using it. I'm not sure if it will reach completely into the dash and into the glove box, though (to happy and thrilled that I did it right the first time). If you don't have FD seats, there should be a small plug that's on the front wall of the trunk that's also behind the center armrest (on my 528 anyway). Pop out the plug and you can run the cable into the car. It's not the prettiest, but it get's the job done.

I know this is kind of long, but I hope it was helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Aux cable idea is awesome, but not sure I would go to all that trouble to add a aux port for this old A_ss system unless you don't plan on keeping the car long enough to the point where it will frustrate you like it did for me.

The fastest,easiest,cheapest way to get rolling down the road with your tunes is to swing by your local best buy or radio shack and pick up a cassette adapter with the headphone jack on one end and plug that bad boy into your Apple, Android or Crackberry device and enjoy your music almost instantly.

I think the ONE thing I probably hated about my car the most was the stereo and now I got functionality that even some newer beemers don't have. I said some not all. I think most of the 2010s don't even have A2DP Bluetooth for streaming audio.

Either way you go, it will be better than stock!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hadn't even thought about the cassette adapter route and you're right -- it will be much better than the FM modulator for sure. I see your car is an 01 so it has the larger nav screen and cassette behind the screen -- will the faceplate slide back into place OK with the wire for the adapter coming out from behind it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep, just make sure when you buy the cassette adapter it has a flat wire not round so that you can easily hide it around the screen when it closes. You shouldn't have the need to keep opening it once you have it set in there, although it's no problem if you needed to remove the cassette and re-insert it. I used a credit card to get the wire to stay around the screen to help push it in around the screen.

Just hold the wire while it closes and then route it along the side.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Aux cable idea is awesome, but not sure I would go to all that trouble to add a aux port for this old A_ss system unless you don't plan on keeping the car long enough to the point where it will frustrate you like it did for me.

The fastest,easiest,cheapest way to get rolling down the road with your tunes is to swing by your local best buy or radio shack and pick up a cassette adapter with the headphone jack on one end and plug that bad boy into your Apple, Android or Crackberry device and enjoy your music almost instantly.

I think the ONE thing I probably hated about my car the most was the stereo and now I got functionality that even some newer beemers don't have. I said some not all. I think most of the 2010s don't even have A2DP Bluetooth for streaming audio.

Either way you go, it will be better than stock!!
I admit I do like adding factory features to both my Beast and my 528. And, I do tend to keep my cars for a long time. But, what about the sound quality? Maybe I'll try it in the Beast. I have a cassette adapter that I used with another of my vehicles, but the sound quality was not good, considering the vehicle in question had a decent sound system.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sound quality was actually pretty good considering i had aftermarket amps, components, and a sub. I did try out a few brands and for some reason the ones from radio shack sounded better then what they have at best buy. All the brands have sounded different and you would need to hear it to see if it sounds good to you.

If you plan on keeping your beast for a long time then aftermarket is the way to go. I got more features then some newer cars. I got bluetooth audio and phone, aux input, usb and a dvd player and 7" screen all in one unit. Im soo glad i dont have to burn cds anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts