BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just encountered one of the strangest electrical issues. I was getting ready to park and noticed that my turn signal was frozen. I parked the car and turned off the ignition. Imagine my surprise when everything in the car stayed on (center cluster, radio, etc). When I tried to start the car, nothing. The starter did not engage and nothing happened. I unplugged the battery and reconnected it to reset the system. That worked and everything appears to be OK now, but this strange behavior has me concerned given my recent battery draining issue after removing the cluster for repair. I don't want to get stranded somewhere.

Has anyone encountered something like this before? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Be very careful unplugging the battery if critical systems have power. Can mess up some stuff that way.

Sounds like your ignition is bad

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Seems like the ignition swtich

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just had this issue. I replaced the ignition switch but it did not fix the issue. A week later the alternator light kicked on. The minute the alternator was replaced everything worked as designed. Might be different situations, but I would check the alternator.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bad alternators are known to cause a list of electrical issues. Check the secret menu and see what voltage you're getting while cruising at speed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check the secret menu and report back with what I find. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You likely have an unnecessary parasitic load on the battery when the car is off. You need to take your car to a shop so they can check each system through the fuse box to see what is using more power than it should. If anything is out of the ordinary electrically, they will be able to figure it out testing that way. My best educated guess would be that your alternator is bad or ignition switch is not functioning properly causing all systems of the car to be on when you want the car off which would also be the source of your battery drainage problem. Either way, have a reputable shop test the electrical system and alternator first before dumping money on random parts trying to solve your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts