BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Car shipping?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  simonnim 
#1 ·
Having my car shipped to Jim in Maine from California to have some work done. Car shipping quotes are all over the place. Any good leads or what should I expect? The car will probably be a beater so the way there is no biggie but the way back I’d rather have it enclosed, etc. thanks

#2 ·
Open transport could be anywhere from 0.50 to 0.75 per mile.

When I shipped my Jeep GC from Tacoma, WA to Atlanta back in 2005, it was $1,667. You may be looking at about $2000.

#3 ·
if you can get a broker to do it at their cost, should be about $1500 enclosed. Maybe the place you are shipping it can schedule it and save you some money vs. paying as a retail customer. I just had one shipped from MD to CA for $1500 from a dealer - they arranged it and passed on their broker pricing to me - or more specifically I paid the transport company directly. I was getting quotes around $1850-$2150 on my own. Enclosed.

#6 · (Edited)
Guys.......

as someone who has done cross country transport on both my own m5 and my lil bro’s Tesla at least 2 times now. I will say that you are 99% guaranteed to get your bumpers F***ed scratched to **** because the 20 or so different people handling your car are complete and utter piece of **** inbred backwood morons. The rear bumper had an assload of scratches from keeping cars on trailer too close to each other. The other one damage was where a moron scratched the heck out of the bottom of my front bumper by driving down too fast or trailer being too steep. File a claim with their Insurance you say? The last company who did this was doing business while they were in the middle of a bankrupcy and were in the process of being Bought by another company. Also, on top of that i believe someone stole the registration out of my glovebox amongst a bunch of other random crap (my fault). Its a coin toss really.

my most recent experience was with a completely different company as of like 4 months ago where i had transport The same m5 from Florida to Puerto rico and noticed (luckily not that bad) but nonetheless bumper scratches and scuff marks In the exact same places. My point is that you’re not immune from things like this if the service you use will contract the transport between many different companies to take car from point A to B.

It may be worth just having a very good luxury transport company do this where they take good care of it and it changes hands less often or with their trusted people only.

#7 ·
Also agree, either drive it yourself, or pay a premium. Last time I had a car shipped cross country in '97, tons of scratches, tires were slashed. I tried to file a claim, and months later got them to reimburse me tire cost..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.