BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
So I decided to drive the beast in these cold DC weather conditions to get gas and to put afew miles on her to go see the NFL games at a firnds house. I was amazed at how much louder the car was during these frigid temps (18 deg).Is this normal??
I also learned how horrible this car is on snow :D, no harm done but a few close calls.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Re: Car running much louder in cold tems..concern?

Dude, you gotta buy snow tires if you wanna do a half way decent job driving in the snow hiha hiha .

Seriously, what noises are you talking about?

I drive my M5 year 'round but it stays garaged overnight. One night last week I had it outside at a hotel and the temps were like 10 below zero that night (MY POOR CAR--I almost put the hotel comforter over it). Starting it the next day, it seemed like it was overreving just for a scecond or two when it started and both the brake and clutch were hard to depress. My car typically bucks for the first few minutes when it's warming up--winter or summer, but it is more pronounced in the winter.

Anita

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

Does it settle down after a few minutes? If so, the noise is coming from your exhausts. This is very common, especially with aftermarket exhausts. When the pipes are cold they resonatee a lot more but it's nothing to worry about. Once the system warms up, the steel expands and the car sounds "normal".

·
Registered
69 Posts

I drive mine also year 'round, no difference I can hear (other than with windows down in summer of course). And certainly, leave it home in snow unless you have snow tires, otherwise you will wind up as a passenger no matter which seat you are in.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

The increased sound of the exhaust in cold weather is also related to the change in the density of air for sound to travel through. It is nothing to worry about. I LOVE the sound of my Supersprint muffs, racing cats and headers starting up on a nice cold morning...not to mention these less than 20 degree temps give "cold air intake" a whole meaning!

:cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts

I ahve TUBI and I love that loud burbling sound it has when

cold. It does however clam down after a short bit of heat up.
:M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Anita said:
Dude, you gotta buy snow tires if you wanna do a half way decent job driving in the snow hiha hiha .

Seriously, what noises are you talking about?

I drive my M5 year 'round but it stays garaged overnight. One night last week I had it outside at a hotel and the temps were like 10 below zero that night (MY POOR CAR--I almost put the hotel comforter over it). Starting it the next day, it seemed like it was overreving just for a scecond or two when it started and both the brake and clutch were hard to depress. My car typically bucks for the first few minutes when it's warming up--winter or summer, but it is more pronounced in the winter.

Anita
It seemed like the noise was more a lechanical noise coming from the engine. almost like it was the dreaded vanos rattle:confused: .
Ohh well I am sure it was just tempermental:7:
thanks for your help

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Was it a kind of ticking sound? Like a diesel engine? Thats a VANOS sound. If it goes away after the engine is warmed up you should be AOK. I get this sometimes if I let the car sit or when it gets really cold out. My dealer has looked at it a few times and said that its typical and not to worry. My deal with them when they say not to worry is if something now goes wrong with it, even if it is later past warranty its their problem because they said it was OK. So far they've been right on the VANOS.

On the snow driving- yep- the summer tires are NOT any good in the snow. You've literally got to not drive her in the snow or get snow tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MEnthusiast said:
Was it a kind of ticking sound? Like a diesel engine? Thats a VANOS sound. If it goes away after the engine is warmed up you should be AOK. I get this sometimes if I let the car sit or when it gets really cold out. My dealer has looked at it a few times and said that its typical and not to worry. My deal with them when they say not to worry is if something now goes wrong with it, even if it is later past warranty its their problem because they said it was OK. So far they've been right on the VANOS.

On the snow driving- yep- the summer tires are NOT any good in the snow. You've literally got to not drive her in the snow or get snow tires.
In fact it was a ticking sound and was most likely what you describe as the vanos issue. I also get the rattle sometimes on startup, but not always.Thnaks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts