BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my centre armrest car phone wont switch on, well it does but wont stay on. is this likely to be just a handset swap or more pressing? would quite like bluetooth if poss!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is it the big BMW Motarola GSM one?

If so no idea but the Bluetooth swap isnt quite as simple if it is. I have just spent a week getting my head around the swap to a TCU

Much better idea but does need a loom making from scratch and plugs in the arm rest modifying etc - Now i know exactly whats needed i would say 4 hours start to finish to get it all working

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is needed? Cost etc? Would be happy with just the 80's style handset as I don't drive it much!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The tcu and other parts such as plugs, cables and Bluetooth aerials came in at about £220

I have just removed all my gsm parts that all worked perfectly if you want to stick with that route. Open to offers

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Bluetooth swap is very simple. You remove the handset entirely, and add a small wiring harness to make it work with the cubby/BT button. After that, you'd just need to plug in the mic and snap it into place and you're done up front. In the trunk, you'd need to mount the BT antenna and run the wire to the CD/Nav area and plug it into the BT module. Then remove the SES box and install the jumper plug. 45 minutes tops if you've done it before....maybe 1.5 hours if you take your time reading the instructions the first time.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Does anyone sell a kit? Would be happy with another STD handset just can't find one!
In the UK you can simply buy all the parts individually and it works out cheaper than bimmernav anyway. But bimmernav are a very good company though, and the easy, but expensive option, is to go with them, UK or US based.

You can also keep the original handest as it is, if you want to. It saves on having to get a blank plug-in for your armrest.

There is a real BMW car phone expert based in the south of the UK. When I mean expert, I mean it. He is a guru, but all in his spare time.

E55AMG2 has basically spelt it all out for you above ! +1

·
Registered
374 Posts
Goto BMW Parts and BMW Accessories | Bavarian Autosport and check this out:

This plug 'n' play kit lets you use your bluetooth-enabled cell phone for hands-free calling in your BMW using the phone buttons on your multi-function steering wheel! With bluetooth, you can make voice-command calls without ever taking the phone out of your pocket, as long as it is turned on. A great safety upgrade! And with so many states passing new laws about using cell phones while driving, it’s only a matter of time before it’ll be a requirement everywhere. The problem with Bluetooth has been that retrofitting your car has been a technical headache. You had to buy a conversion kit, and a speaker, and electrical connectors, and figure out how to cut into the wiring harness and fuse box, and splice into the radio to mute it when you’re on the phone... way too complicated. (And if you cut the wrong wire, way too expensive!) We have a solution. This Bluetooth conversion kit takes the highly-regarded Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth system and makes it plug ‘n’ play using your BMW’s factory phone hook-up and phone or stereo speakers. Just locate the phone connectors, plug them into the kit, mount the control box under the dash and turn the ignition key. The system quickly pairs with your phone and you’re done! No splicing, no cursing, no screwdriver-throwing. Auto-mute turns the stereo volume down when you place or receive a call. Small microphone included.
Part Number Description Price Qty.
BT AE393
Plain-Talk Bluetooth Kit with Steering Wheel Function

$ 479.95

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have parrot on my van and it is good but don't want to (very capable) retrofit anything in the BMW just want a STD handset that works! Someone must have an unwanted one!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have one that I confess to not using but it's staying with the car to keep it as originally complete as possible. Any changes I make, I'll keep the old stuff in case (if I EVER sell it) the new owner wants them back in. Quite interested in the sound of that BT kit, hadn't really given it much thought as these things tend not to use the original controls and need bits bolting on to the dash, but that sounds like a good tidy and simple solution.

EDIT - Had a read and does the kit not use the factory mic in the roof?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
the bimmernav bluetooth solution works like it was always meant to be there......
dash controls, steering wheel controls, the lot, worth upgrading to the newer mic though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts