BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ste said:
As promised (a long time ago!) I have finally scanned the 'Car' article of one of the first drives of the German spec e34 M5.

Light reading on a Friday afternoon :cheers:

Sorry it took so long - I lent the magazine to a friend and it took a while to get it back.
----------------

Woopeee!! Thanks so much ste! Its the first article I read when I was a wee lad, and I wanted one ever since.

Friday afternoon is saved!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the article.

BTW, I noticed one of the backseat picture on the last page. Does everyone's looks like that? because my backseat is very normal one like that of the regular 5 series.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
1606 said:
Thank you for the article.

BTW, I noticed one of the backseat picture on the last page. Does everyone's looks like that? because my backseat is very normal one like that of the regular 5 series.
The four seat was standard to start off with in 1988, then they changed to the 5 seater version (like standard E34s) in about mid 1991 and made the four seat a £600 option, then discontinued it altogether in around late 1991.

The thing is wonderful, it really makes the rear seats much more snug and holds passengers much better than the five seater, (tried both, I have a 535i too), plus you get two drawers storage. (Except mine, as some thieving monkey has my lower drawer and they're discontinued!)

It also marks the car immediately as an M5, as no-one ever bothers to redo the entire interior to make a fake!

The downside is that you only have four seats, which is pain if the lads are off for the night out somewhere! Also, the battery is a real nightmare to get to, with half the rear of the car having to come apart, as one of the support bars for the centre console goes right over the top.

Looking at this article, (and thanks for posting, it's brilliant), it is easy to see that the four seater 3.6 in Brilliant Red with the Turbine wheels is easily the very best version of the M5 ever built, period, end of story and I'll delete anyones posts wot says otherwise! :) LOL... :)

Ivan.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do like the four seats. I have these two huge bins for storage, and I usually dont bring more than 3 others in the car anyway.

Great article!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
IvanDias said:
Looking at this article, (and thanks for posting, it's brilliant), it is easy to see that the four seater 3.6 in Brilliant Red with the Turbine wheels is easily the very best version of the M5 ever built, period, end of story and I'll delete anyones posts wot says otherwise! :) LOL... :)

Ivan.
I take it that means the only acceptable mod is to take the turbine covers off leaving the black inner wheels?

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
It's the turbine's that make the car.........

vadas1 said:
I take it that means the only acceptable mod is to take the turbine covers off leaving the black inner wheels?

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
vadas1 said:

ralph (vadas1)
Very nearly, but I've messing about again! :biggrin:

Uniqueness - One,
Purity - Nil

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
vadas1 said:

ralph (vadas1)
-
without the -turbine (or throwing stars) covers- the wheel-housing works
like a vacuum-cleaner and you will get extremely dirty wheels quickly and easily -

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
-
without the -turbine (or throwing stars) covers- the wheel-housing works
like a vacuum-cleaner and you will get extremely dirty wheels quickly and easily -
With all due respect, in my experience, this does not happen. I think it all goes way-back-when, when someone mentioned that "that techno-violet m5" had the cover removed and the wheels acted as a vacuum, sucking in rubbish and stones, which caused the brake disks to crack.
This whole vacuum thing appears to have been passed down in E34 mythology ever since!

The wheel with the cover off is a bog standard 5 spoke wheel. This wheel doesn't get dirtier than any other dished 5 spoke wheel.

Some may argue, that dirt is actually increased with the Turbines on, as of course this is actively blowing 25% more air, rain and airborne dirt etc onto the wheel than when the cover is off. I can't say I noticed.

Some may argue that brake dust doesn't settle as much when the covers are on, as the dust is blasted away by the turbines. I found this to be the case.

Here is 2 cents worth of observation from my 3 1/2 years goofing about with the wheels.

After a while with factory standard complete Turbine wheels, I had them refurbished as they had always been badly kerbed and the turbine covers badly scraped too.

I had them machined then black powder coated with a semi-gloss finish. This is much softer than the rock-hard factory silver. Once done, I ran them with the covers off.

Many moons on, there is not a single mark on them from any debris or objects, stones etc.

My wheels would have shown any impact or mark as the paint is far softer than the factory finish. Mine is a daily driver in all weathers, rain or shine, (in the UK where we have more weather than most!) and this is about 30,000 miles worth.

The fronts are now a more semi-matt finish as the brake dust has settled and melted into the powder coat in time. Not badly, but it's there. The rears are still semi-gloss.

I recently had the front Turbines refurbed in black too, see the above picture. In my experience over the last three months, the action of the Turbine (even without centre cap) blowing air into the wheel and therefore brake-dust going into the wheelarch and under the car instead of dropping down onto the wheel, has resulted in the visible wheel rim remaining much cleaner than it was before. I do not drive slowly. Brake dust is no longer a chore!

To close:

IMHO, a M-System wheel without Turbine cover may retain brake dust and therefore require more frequent cleaning, but no more than pretty much any other design of "deep dish" wheel.

The action of the Turbines airflow disippates the dust, meaning the wheel stays cleaner for longer.

Any vortex, vacuum or airflow generated by the wheel with the covers removed is so small as to be undetectable and has negligible effect on the cleanliness or operation of the wheel.

Ivan.

P.S.
In fact, I would go out on a limb so far as to say that the wheels on my 535i needed more cleaning that the M5 wheels with the cover off! I take a wild guess and say that the recessed deep dish alloy of the M5 wheel with the cover off picks up less dirt than a standard non-dish spoked wheel like Momo Arrows or Chromodora Sins (fitted to the 535i) where the spokes are on the outside of the wheel and in the airflow. I know a guy who *hates* the weekly cleaning of his Kahn RSRs!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think we all know (atleast if you are a bmw enthusiast), that all bmws, and especially the performance models spew brake dust like no other cars. The reason we don't mind the extra dirt and cleaning is that bmw brakes are excellent quality, last long, and perform well.
Anyway I dont have the turbine wheels but I can assume that the air they would push past the wheel would cause less brake dust and dirt on wheels if anything.
Also a trick for anyone out there, if you get a new set of wheels, or clean your wheels extremely well down to every last detail, you can simply then wax the wheels and dirt and dust will then come off much, much easier in the future.
Finally, the reason brake rotors usually crack is attributed to drilled rotors being pushed hard. The holes make the rotor more weak, and easier to crack, I highly doubt stones or dust would do much harm on a brake rotor. Imagine a warped rotor, now think of that same rotor with holes drilled through it making it more weak.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
redl1nerpm said:
Finally, the reason brake rotors usually crack is attributed to drilled rotors being pushed hard. The holes make the rotor more weak, and easier to crack.
Porsche actually have their disks cast with the holes in, so they are the exception. I need a 911!

Neat idea with the wax. Will try that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts