BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting at the Macca's drive through and decided to turn the car off. When the line started to move I could not get the car into neutral. After about five minutes it finally sifted to neutral. Not exactly sure what I did to get the car started but there was a lot of pressing the start button, brake pedal and re-trying.

It was a little embarrassing but I know this has happened to other M5 drivers. Reading the threads about this issue some one called it a "double lock" and the only way to bypass it was to open the door, get out the car and re-enter. Does anybody know whether there was ever a fix to this?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks, <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yes, this is another of the SMG-electronic bugs some owners have experienced. New software or hardware may be needed to fix.

Sometimes exiting the car, locking and unlocking the doors, and trying again will work. The M5 also has a partial system reset after sitting off for 20 minutes, another after a couple of hours.

The 20 minute reset temporarily fixed I-Drive failures on my beast, which eventually needed a new CCC module.

Take your car in and make sure they document the failure, even if it resets itself. I took mine in 3 times before they diagnosed a clutch problem undetected by the ECU. :grrrr:

Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dylan, I have already call up my SA and organizing the car to be looked at next week. Not sure what they will find since the car has been running faultlessly before the incident.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
As an experienced drive-through veteran, shift to neutral before shutting down.

What did you order?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely making sure I shift it to Neutral before shutting down.

I ordered a big Mac meal... I have been working on my one ab over winter.

:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dropped the car in today to get it checked. I will report back if they find anything.

Additionally, i asked the SA to look at my remotes because the lack of distance (4 yards) I need to open/close the car s,,cks. The SA told me that 8ft line of sight is really the the best I can hope for. Thats absolutely useless if you need to use the panick mode to set off the alarm. I could just imagine a scenerio where I see someone trying to steel my wheels and me standing 8 ft away setting off the alarm. In the meantime the guy decides to roll me also.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I dropped the car in today to get it checked. I will report back if they find anything.

Additionally, i asked the SA to look at my remotes because the lack of distance (4 yards) I need to open/close the car s,,cks. The SA told me that 8ft line of sight is really the the best I can hope for. Thats absolutely useless if you need to use the panick mode to set off the alarm. I could just imagine a scenerio where I see someone trying to steel my wheels and me standing 8 ft away setting off the alarm. In the meantime the guy decides to roll me also.
The remote distance on '06 models is poor, it's been improved in subsequent models. Opening the trunk sometimes takes 3-4 presses with mine. The remote positioning is sensitive, sometimes moving the remote 1 foot in any direction helps.

I notice you live in the northeast. If you resided in The Lone Star state, pointing the business end of a .40 caliber in the direction of the bad guys, would cause them to scatter like the cockroaches they are.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dylan for your advice. Never used a .40 Cal so I would probably danger my life trying to defend myself.

The car was at the dealers Thursday and today. Late Friday afternoon they called me asking if they could keep it over the long weekend.... I quickly replied "I don't think so" I couldn't see the point considering no one would be working on it during the long weekend, so I will need to take it back on Tuesday next week. They have ordered an amplifier and antenna to replace mine so hopefully that fixes the distance thing. They are still unsure about the lock-up issue.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The remote distance on '06 models is poor, it's been improved in subsequent models. Opening the trunk sometimes takes 3-4 presses with mine. The remote positioning is sensitive, sometimes moving the remote 1 foot in any direction helps.

I think that remote distances can vary. My remote unlocks through my house door into my garage, around corners, and upwards of 20 or so yards away. While I have to hold the trunk unlock for a second or two, rather than just a quick press, it also has a similar range. BTW, I have a 2006 (Dec '05 build).

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylan Thomas

I think that remote distances can vary. My remote unlocks through my house door into my garage, around corners, and upwards of 20 or so yards away. While I have to hold the trunk unlock for a second or two, rather than just a quick press, it also has a similar range. BTW, I have a 2006 (Dec '05 build).
My remotes also sometimes activates the alarm, locks doors, etc, through my pocket & walls into the garage.

Mainly the trunk release that is the pain, with both remotes. Sometimes press & briefly hold 3-5 times before it opens, other times reposition it 12" before it releases, and occasionally up on the first try.

When I asked the stealership to fix it, my S.A. gave me the story about the '06 remote complaints and improvements on subsequent models as an excuse why they couldn't improve the function. :3:

07/06 Build.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The SA was spinning a story that 8ft was best I could hope for (line of sight). I don't believe him for a second. I have 4 other friends that have 06 BMW models and all of them have a great range and very consistent.

I will soon know on Tuesday when may car gets the new antenna and amplifier.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mainly the trunk release that is the pain, with both remotes. Sometimes press & briefly hold 3-5 times before it opens, other times reposition it 12" before it releases, and occasionally up on the first try.
Perhaps your "briefly" doesn't measure up. The manual says the trunk release button must be held pressed "for approx. 1 second."

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
...When I asked the stealership to fix it, my S.A. gave me the story about the '06 remote complaints and improvements on subsequent models as an excuse why they couldn't improve the function. :3:

07/06 Build.
Your SA is throwing around complete BS. The essentials of these remotes have been used by BMW for years. What range does your other key have? If they're different in any way, then one is bad. If they both require the same ridiculously short distances you describe, then it's the receivers' fault.

On the downside with my remote, somehow I lost the little roundel. It looks sooo naked without the roundel:crying2:.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your SA is throwing around complete BS. The essentials of these remotes have been used by BMW for years. What range does your other key have? If they're different in any way, then one is bad. If they both require the same ridiculously short distances you describe, then it's the receivers' fault.

On the downside with my remote, somehow I lost the little roundel. It looks sooo naked without the roundel:crying2:.
I also lost the roundel and the dealer will be replacing the key under warranty.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I also lost the roundel and the dealer will be replacing the key under warranty.
Hmmm. My dealer, usually very responsive to whatever I need, did not offer to replace my key when I brought it up. I'd just take a new roundel and glue it onto my key, if I could find one.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

Perhaps your "briefly" doesn't measure up. The manual says the trunk release button must be held pressed "for approx. 1 second."

----------------------------------------------------------------
...When I asked the stealership to fix it, my S.A. gave me the story about the '06 remote complaints and improvements on subsequent models as an excuse why they couldn't improve the function. :3:

07/06 Build.

------------------------------------------------------------

The overall range of the two remotes is generally good, in line with the posts of others. The primary problem is with the trunk release.

Sometimes the trunk pops open from one press at ~15 feet, other times it refuses to cooperate after several tries. I've experimented with different press & hold times, no difference.

Indeed my S.A. & service mgr. have been at times stuffed with arrogance & guano, & sometimes not, wonder if BMW has a secret training program? :haha:

I've added this to a growing repair list. Unfortunately my beast has been trouble prone, spending > 3 months in the shop during the first 19 months of ownership.:mad: I'm real close to pulling the trigger on the lemon law and selling it back to BMW.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, car was in the workshop again for another 2 days. The SA told me they updated the software to the latest version on my car. In reference to my remote issue my sevice write up it states "this issue might have been caused by poor communication between control modules, and would have been remedied with the software update".
This software update also improved the smoothness on the IDrive. The service report reads" Checked operation of the IDrive and found the screens did lag while loading. I checked for SI's and found SI B65 03 07 provides a solution for this problem."

In referenceto the car lock up the report reads "If the car is unlocked and in sleep mode, it might not wake up the car when trying to comfort start. If this happens try locking and then unlocking the car. This will help with future diagnosis".

In summary, my remote range has improved, my IDrive is working extremely well and I know what to do if my car locks up again.

:applause:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts