BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a friends house tonight and all our cars were tossed in the driveway. Even the truck in the garage. The only thing that appears to have been taken out of all the cars were my keys.

Long story short: had my 4Runner parked in the driveway, and left my keys in the car. One piece of luck is that my battery is dead on the fob for my 4Runner so at least they couldn’t steal the car (my wife was smart enough to take her purse with her functioning fob inside).

The bad luck? They stole my key ring which had the keys to my 4Runner, Wrangler, and my 2002 M5.

The really bad luck you ask? That was the ONLY key I had for the M5. So my car is now stuck in my garage.

So the reason for posting this: what do I do now? Go to my nearest dealer which is 60 miles away? Source an entire set of locks/keys/etc (hopefully Clemster has something). Some advice would be helpful.

I’ll do some searching tomorrow when I calm down, but I’m super pissed off (mostly at myself for being so stupid) and had to rant somewhere.

Hope everyone is having a better day than I am.

·
Banned
60 Posts
At a friends house tonight and all our cars were tossed in the driveway. Even the truck in the garage. The only thing that appears to have been taken out of all the cars were my keys.

Long story short: had my 4Runner parked in the driveway, and left my keys in the car. One piece of luck is that my battery is dead on the fob for my 4Runner so at least they couldn’t steal the car (my wife was smart enough to take her purse with her functioning fob inside).

The bad luck? They stole my key ring which had the keys to my 4Runner, Wrangler, and my 2002 M5.

The really bad luck you ask? That was the ONLY key I had for the M5. So my car is now stuck in my garage.

So the reason for posting this: what do I do now? Go to my nearest dealer which is 60 miles away? Source an entire set of locks/keys/etc (hopefully Clemster has something). Some advice would be helpful.

I’ll do some searching tomorrow when I calm down, but I’m super pissed off (mostly at myself for being so stupid) and had to rant somewhere.

Hope everyone is having a better day than I am.

Sorry to hear that

Yes go to your local dealer to get a replacement

And yes it awesome here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Bring your title (or proof of ownership) and your drivers' license to the dealer and they will have the key in 48 hours. You can also request the key that was stolen to be erased from the car so it no longer works. You can have up to 10 keys cut/registered to the car. your car had 3 keys when it was sold new, so assuming you have not requested any keys before, you should still be able to order at least 7 keys.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck... Some years ago my wife had her car stolen right out of our driveway... One of my master keys was in her car. With our claim for my wife's car, our Insurance (Amica) also paid to have my car completely re-keyed It cost over 1700, but they covered it all plus 4 new keys... Hopefully your insurance will help you out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. Went to the closest dealer on Tuesday and now have two new keys for my car. Pretty painless!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Damn what a ****ty day! Glad you got it all resolved. I was also going to suggest to see what your insurance deductible is on theft or vandalism, and depending on what that is, maybe there is some help that can be done to supplement the cost of new keys. What did it cost you in the end for the 2 new keys? curious...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$460 total for two keys overnighted. I have to replace my 4Runner and Jeep keys, too - so by the time I’m done I’ll be well over my $500 deductible and my insurance company will reimburse me.

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Went to the closest dealer on Tuesday and now have two new keys for my car. Pretty painless!
Why not spring for the valet key and plastic key and then you have the full set! It is the 2 master keys that are the expensive ones anyway.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts