BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Car & Driver Supercar Challenge: RS6 with worthless times and Hennessey still around!

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  shadowman 
#1 ·
"Houston tuner John Hennessey has entered one of his mega-Venoms in three of the four supercar shootouts we’ve conducted, and he was on hand for the speed bash that sparked the creation of this annual get-together, the “0-150-0” competition of August 1998. That experience has finally paid off, as this year Hennessey went home with the grand prize."

Cannot beleive that guy still is in business after all Ive read about Hennessey here.

Notice the bad results of the MTM RS6 with supposedly 575 HP

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?article_id=8723&section_id=15&page_number=4
"Certainly those are quick times, but they’re not as fast as we had expected. The 4400-pound Hoppen/MTM car was hindered by a 171-pound weight increase compared with a stock RS 6. The likely culprits were a $4550 Brembo front-brake kit, with 15-inch rotors and eight-piston calipers, and a $3420 wheel-and-tire package consisting of 19-inch (an inch larger than stock) MTM Bimoto wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

The Hoppen/MTM RS 6 registered a best run of 117.5 seconds, 13.6 seconds behind the time of the winning Mallett CTS-V and 4.8 seconds slower than the sixth-place Active Autowerke M3. The consolation was that this Hoppen RS 6 wasn’t the slowest—the Open Class’s Superformance Brock coupe took that title."

Full article here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=8719

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Car & Driver Supercar Challenge: RS6 with worthless times and Hennessey still aro

It was a great read, but I'm not impressed very much by any of the times. I suspect something was wrong during the testing. A 575hp RS6 running 12.9's? Supercharged AA M3 still in the low 13's? The times seemed very slow to me, not just the RS6.

Travis

#3 ·
I really wasnt impressed either...The AA tuned M3 has yet to prove its worth the 10K that is asked of it. AA has not come out with 0-60 or quarter mile times with the car yet, and the kit has been out since june.

As for other cars...the mallet sounds great and that is really the only car that i think i would take (only for the exhaust sound)

Hmm...i think abdulla or I should lend our cars for next years competition...

Lets see...a 4dr sedan that takes out the viper turbo.... that would rock their world. I am also thinking about entering my completed car in the Sport Compact Car ultimate street car challange as well.

#6 ·
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
I really wasnt impressed either...The AA tuned M3 has yet to prove its worth the 10K that is asked of it. AA has not come out with 0-60 or quarter mile times with the car yet, and the kit has been out since june.

As for other cars...the mallet sounds great and that is really the only car that i think i would take (only for the exhaust sound)

Hmm...i think abdulla or I should lend our cars for next years competition...

Lets see...a 4dr sedan that takes out the viper turbo.... that would rock their world. I am also thinking about entering my completed car in the Sport Compact Car ultimate street car challange as well.
I thought you were selling your M5 or did I miss something ?

#7 ·
Suretyagent said:
Would love to see this. I get tired of all the talk and look forward to someone walking the walk.

Derek
Derek/Travis,

could you expand upon what you wrote? Im tired of talking about my car as well as not even God himself knows how bad I want my car back. Everyday that I go without it, i want it more... Its like The Ring in The Lord of the Rings, you dont want to ever give it up.

Since before my car left for RMS (before Feb04) I was thinking about entering the car in the Ultimate Street Car Shootout.

Now if it isnt time for me to sulk that im still without my car, i dont know when is.

As for selling it, at the price i have posted, no one has seemed very eager for the car and at this point I am going to keep the car, minus a "out of left field" offer.

#8 ·
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
Derek/Travis,

could you expand upon what you wrote? Im tired of talking about my car as well as not even God himself knows how bad I want my car back. Everyday that I go without it, i want it more... Its like The Ring in The Lord of the Rings, you dont want to ever give it up.

Since before my car left for RMS (before Feb04) I was thinking about entering the car in the Ultimate Street Car Shootout.

Now if it isnt time for me to sulk that im still without my car, i dont know when is.

As for selling it, at the price i have posted, no one has seemed very eager for the car and at this point I am going to keep the car, minus a "out of left field" offer.
I think I can speak for Travis when I say that we both very much look forward to seeing a well built M5 compete in one of these shoot-outs and that we trust that your car would be a good choice for competition. We're not tired of you talking about your car, we're tired of so-called tuners talking ad nauseum of their underperforming cars, taking credit for others work and never showing up with a car that can turn up the numbers and then turn around and drive home on its own power.

We're with you, friend. Go get 'em!

Derek

#10 ·
greco..

it goes to show you that more horsepower doesnt always equal a better timed speed. Both of those CTS's suffer from the same axle hop and reluctant stability control system...so the more power you put in, the worse the axle hop gets and the more the Stability system wants to cut in...

For road cars with 700+ hp...quarter mile times are sometimes skewed as hooking up is the hardest part.

#11 ·
Derek,

Thanks for the clarification..i agree about tuners, it is a crime that one would spend 60K on an engine upgrade and have such a marginal increase in power. The only thing that i can say about the AA tuned m3 is that for 8K installed for the SC, its a steal compared to the other carsr.

#12 ·
Gustav said:
"Houston tuner John Hennessey has entered one of his mega-Venoms in three of the four supercar shootouts we’ve conducted, and he was on hand for the speed bash that sparked the creation of this annual get-together, the “0-150-0” competition of August 1998. That experience has finally paid off, as this year Hennessey went home with the grand prize."

Cannot beleive that guy still is in business after all Ive read about Hennessey here.

Notice the bad results of the MTM RS6 with supposedly 575 HP

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?article_id=8723&section_id=15&page_number=4
"Certainly those are quick times, but they’re not as fast as we had expected. The 4400-pound Hoppen/MTM car was hindered by a 171-pound weight increase compared with a stock RS 6. The likely culprits were a $4550 Brembo front-brake kit, with 15-inch rotors and eight-piston calipers, and a $3420 wheel-and-tire package consisting of 19-inch (an inch larger than stock) MTM Bimoto wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

The Hoppen/MTM RS 6 registered a best run of 117.5 seconds, 13.6 seconds behind the time of the winning Mallett CTS-V and 4.8 seconds slower than the sixth-place Active Autowerke M3. The consolation was that this Hoppen RS 6 wasn’t the slowest—the Open Class’s Superformance Brock coupe took that title."

Full article here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=8719

I agree with you.......I would also add the word Dumbfounded...

Shadowman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.