BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have 2013 m5 manual transmission, I ran first gear hard to 7000 rpms and the car shut off and rolled to a stop, no warning lights came on, when I opened the hood there was white smoke and a burning smell coming from the engine bay, and now the car won't start, just a click when I press the start button, any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Burning smell and smoke sounds like a ceased injector valve floding cylender with fuel - But engine not turning when you start does not sound good!

·
Registered
284 Posts
My advice is to not try to use the starter, but put a ratchet on the crankshaft and try to turn it by hand with transmission in neutral. Then you will have an actual feel of what is going on. Even with spark plugs installed you should be able to turn over an engine with some resistance. With the spark plugs removed should be relatively easy to turn over an engine. If you can't turn over the engine by hand, that's pretty much 100% chance that this engine is coming out of the car and you (or whoever) can explore what happened on an engine stand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
so I have 2013 m5 manual transmission, I ran first gear hard to 7000 rpms and the car shut off and rolled to a stop, no warning lights came on, when I opened the hood there was white smoke and a burning smell coming from the engine bay, and now the car won't start, just a click when I press the start button, any ideas what this could be?
This sounds like a typical rod bering failure that is common on these cars. If you send used oul out for testing, you can tell when the bearings are wearing, and then replace before they go. I had a bad rod knock on mine. But the E60 engine was discovered to have this lubrication issue. There is lots written about it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you see any oil accumulated under your car or in the bottom trim? I had a similar situation, my engine essentially exploded when cylinder 3&4 bearings seized. It’s the engine is flooded and or bearings issues I highly recommend you contact RK Autowerks. I got their forged motor and can’t be happier. Tell Raza Ludwig sent you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts