BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I booked my car into BMW Rochdale (UK) for a brake service a couple of weeks back, after I collected my car I noticed that the downshift paddle was not clicking as usual. After inspection it was clear that the something internal in the switch had been broken.
After long telephone discussion with the service manager I was told to bring my car back to be checked, and repaired if required. When I told I would not be handing over any more money to them, the service manager told me they would sort ‘something’ out. So I foolishly went ahead and booked my car back in.
With the car now back in the dealer, I receive a phone call confirming the paddle was in fact damaged but it was not damaged was in no way due to any misuse in the service centre. But as a good will gesture they would charge me parts only (approx £250), when I told them I wanted them to speak to someone with more authority they phoned back and agreed they would charge me cost price for the part only (approx £200).
Call me old fashioned but I thought when you broke something that belongs to someone else you repaired it free of charge.
Well in the end I got frustrated with them and told them to put the car back to how it was (still broken) and I would come to collect it.
Now the paddle seems to be in a worse condition that before. I have told BMW Rochdale this will be the last time they see any of my cars for a service or any other work. From now on I will be taking my car somewhere I can trust it will be looked after.
As the repair cost is not very expensive, pursuing this incident further is not economically viable to me, however I would like to make other people aware of how this particular dealer tries to wriggle out of fixing things broken due to their negligence.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like they were fair enough. They can't be held responsible for worn parts.

The flipper was probably worn out and they have offered to replace it at cost price. It's not like they physically snapped it off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alpina527, I understand what you are saying. But rather than a failure in the switch it appeared to me that the switch had been broken by some kind of abuse loading. If I thought it was a wear and tear incident I would completely agree with you.
To me it looks like the switch has been forces sideways (Raidially out from the steering wheel centre) and broken off the top hinge, in my mind I can not see the switch failing this way due to fatigue and I am a qualified aircraft structual engineer with experience of polymer failure analysis.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alpina527, I understand what you are saying. But rather than a failure in the switch it appeared to me that the switch had been broken by some kind of abuse loading. If I thought it was a wear and tear incident I would completely agree with you.
To me it looks like the switch has been forces sideways (Raidially out from the steering wheel centre) and broken off the top hinge, in my mind I can not see the switch failing this way due to fatigue and I am a qualified aircraft structual engineer with experience of polymer failure analysis.
Hard to say without seeing it but from the original description of an internal fault with no clicking, it sounded like a worn micro switch.

Getting any main dealer to admitting damage is always an uphill struggle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the top lug is broken this does not allow the top part of the hinge to rotate (it appears that this rotaion on the top hinge produces the clicking effect), and if the very top of the paddle is pressed the paddle warps.

As you say it is difficult to get them to admit responibility. I don't believe it has been done intentionally, maybe the valeter was a little heavy handed when dusting off the top part of the steering column and impacted the paddle and hasn't even realised the damage caused. But I obviously can't prove that the car was not damaged when I took it in for service, that is their argument. In my mind this is effectively calling me a liar. I would expect this from an independant garage, but I thought BMW would treat their customers with a little more respect, especially as I have full BMW service history.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue with the Rochdale dealership.
What options do you have now, I can't imagine the Manchester dealerships will be better, and Huddersfield/Leeds are a bit far are they not?
(I'm from Huddersfield originally, now in Sweden).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get the repair done at a independant BMW garage I use in Marsden who I have found to be very good (My M5 and 2 previous E60's have had much work done there before). But unfortunatley in future I have no option but to use another BMW dealer for servicing to keep up the BMWSH, I may give the Manchester one a go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I need to use a main dealer, I always do a walk round check to save any embarrassment. I also put a big sticker on the idrive politely requesting they don't valet the car.

At least that keeps it away from the not so good sponge wielders and minimises risk. It might not have helped in your scenario but it seems to work for me so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts