BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving in to a new house but while it is being built I will be living in a apartment. I dont plan on driving the car much over two months. Will it hurt to put a car cover over it? I live in georgia to give yall an idea of the weather. Is there something else I should do to protect it from the sun instead of a cover?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
No problem with using a car cover...:cheers:
I am moving in to a new house but while it is being built I will be living in a apartment. I dont plan on driving the car much over two months. Will it hurt to put a car cover over it? I live in georgia to give yall an idea of the weather. Is there something else I should do to protect it from the sun instead of a cover?

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Obviously, if you are covering outside, get the breathable, elastic edged, fitted, noah-type.

With a black car, super picky types will be fearful of swirls put in by covering. If you keep your cover washed, and are mindful of cross contaminating the inside/outside, top/bottom by folding diligently, that's not a big deal.

In the end, who cares about swirls relative to avoiding bird droppings, tree tar, pollen, debris?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
A quality breathable car cover will serve your purposes

·
Registered
584 Posts
dont forget, prying eyes and theives like to pull up car covers to see whats underneath and sometimes keep the car cover, so lock it up if you can.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I think the cover will do more damage than it saves.

1. the sun will not damage the paint- put suncreens up for the interior.

2. Keeping dust and dirt off the cover- through rain and blown dust- is impossible. Removing and installing the cover WILL scratch the paint.

Detail it, wax it good, wash it every two weeks. Two months is nothing to worry about.

JMHO

A

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have had good results using high quality car covers to prevent sun damage. I have a 20 year old 911 that always wears a Covercraft Duststop cotton cover in the garage (Southern California has to be the dustiest place on the planet, when the wind blows in from the desert!), and a Covercraft Weathershield HP when I park it outside for more than a few minutes. My 911 looks like new.

The trick is to keep dirt from getting between the cover and the paint. Whenever I park the car, I use a California Car Duster to dust the car before putting on either cover. If the car gets dirty, then NO COVER.

If you are going to park the car outside, then wash and wax it, put the Weathershield cover on it, and you are good. If it rains, then you need to pull the cover off, as dirt can migrate through, and under, when the wind blows. As soon as it's dry, then wash and re-cover. If you want to keep the car looking new (paint, interior, rubber, plastic trim, etc . . ., then use a cover to keep the UV off. Just make sure the paint is always clean and waxed underneath.

. . . to give yall an idea of the weather.
As a native Floridian, an having grown up in the Carolinas, I have a minor nit to pick. The correct spelling is "y'all", and in this case, you should not have used the singular "y'all", but the plural,"all y'all". The M5Board is a big group!:1:

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have continually heard of "damage" that car covers cause and in my 20+ years of covering my cars, I have yet to see a single car cover related issue. However I have seen:

1) UV damaged paint
2) UV damaged leather
3) paint etched by bird droppings
4) sap caused damage

Your car . . . your call, but as others have said keep your car clean and you shouldn't have a problem. I have also heard the prying eyes arguement as well, but heck, it's pretty easy to tell a 5 series under a cover. A glance will tell an on looker that it's not a Ferrari, I don't see this as high risk either, KH

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've used car covers for years with good results. IMO it's far better to use one if the car sits for a while for reasons stated above. In my case, longer than a week of not being driven means a car cover goes on. Use your common sense re. cleanliness and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have also heard the prying eyes arguement as well, but heck, it's pretty easy to tell a 5 series under a cover.
I have had the opposite experience with my Carrera Cabriolet. I find if I park the car with top down, and don't put the cover on, I tend to get gawkers. I once came up to the car to find someone sitting in the drivers seat, lovingly caressing the wheel. Turned out to be harmless, but. . ..

I find that when the cover is on, nobody really messes with it. I think of it as a theft/damage deterrent system.

·
Registered
691 Posts
. . .I once came up to the car to find someone sitting in the drivers seat, lovingly caressing the wheel. . . ..

I find that when the cover is on, nobody really messes with it. I think of it as a theft/damage deterrent system.
First of all . . . weird-o!!! Who on the planet sits in someone else's cab??? That's strange, glad they turned out to be harmless, but I hope you anti-bacterialized your steering wheel . . .

Point 2, we are actually in agreement . . . I think a cover acts as a deterient as low-life's who mess with cars are likely lazy bums (else they would be doing something more constructive with their time) and probably won't take the time to lift the cover . . . KH

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My main concern is the paint. I put sunshades over every window in the car to keep the inside cool and free of sun which is turning out great. Will the paint be ok if I don't use a cover?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Your paint is much more prone to oxidation, bird droppings and etc...you really need a car cover if you want to protect the paint and your interior...

My main concern is the paint. I put sunshades over every window in the car to keep the inside cool and free of sun which is turning out great. Will the paint be ok if I don't use a cover?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
People. We are talking about TWO MONTHS.

It the oxidation, etc that this car will suffer in two months worth dragging a cover on and off with each rain/dry/dusty spell?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Yes...Acid rain or moisture in the a.m and dust that settled will work it's way to the paint, and in view of his car color I'd rather have minor scratch from on and off car cover than potential damage that will cost more $$$ to fix, i am choosing the lesser evil here:hihi:...btw make sure to clean the car cover after the rain or once a month (washing machine and AIR DRY)

Btw I check the weather and it might rain saturday:hihi:
Columbus, Georgia

People. We are talking about TWO MONTHS.

It the oxidation, etc that this car will suffer in two months worth dragging a cover on and off with each rain/dry/dusty spell?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I use my cover all the time, but mostly to keep dust off of it while it sits in my garage.

If you are going to drive it once a week, or every 10 days I don't think you should worry about covering up. Although all things being equal, you will have less people look at the car while under a dusty cover, then having a dusty car just sit there that "no one drives"

If you are that worried, or concerned. I would just put the car in a Public storage locker, or a friends house. Safest place!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts