BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car broken into today, it was locked so the pond scum broke the window to get in. I was sitting in a restaurant, unfortunately away from the window, no more than 50 feet away. The alarm never went off, what gives, do they have to open a door to make the alarm go off. It was a "smash and grab" so they just broke the window and grabbed by briefcase. I know put your stuff in the trunk!

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Sorry to hear. One possibility: if you double press the lock/alarm button on the fob, it will deactivate the interior motion sensor. If you observed the indicator lamp lights when you came back to the car, it may have announced an intrusion. Check your manual b/c I'm fuzzy on the details of that light.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Sorry to hear. One possibility: if you double press the lock/alarm button on the fob, it will deactivate the interior motion sensor. If you observed the indicator lamp lights when you came back to the car, it may have announced an intrusion. Check your manual b/c I'm fuzzy on the details of that light.

+1 this is what I thought too. Still surprised that it wouldn't go off with a busted window though :dunno:

·
Registered
126 Posts
We don't have glass break sensors, but the flying glass should've set off the alarm. I left a bouquet of flowers in my backseat one time and a few of the petals fell off, setting the alarm off. My bet is you accidentally pressed the lock button twice in rapid succession, disabling the motion detector.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Something is going on with your motion sensor as it would certainly go off with a smash and grab. The other day I was at the has pump and armed the alarm to go in and get a drink while my front windows were down. When I returned I threw the bottle in thru the window opening and it set off the alarm.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Something is going on with your motion sensor as it would certainly go off with a smash and grab. The other day I was at the has pump and armed the alarm to go in and get a drink while my front windows were down. When I returned I threw the bottle in thru the window opening and it set off the alarm.
Had the same issue with sliding a piece of paper through a small gap in the window. Was surprised how sensitive the motion sensor was. My wife however will not forget it!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ditto. I've left the windows cracked a few inches, and a gust of wind has blown loose papers around, setting the alarm. I double press the lock to disable the interior alarm when I do this (only directly in front of my office, were it is in sight.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ditto. I've left the windows cracked a few inches, and a gust of wind has blown loose papers around, setting the alarm. I double press the lock to disable the interior alarm when I do this (only directly in front of my office, were it is in sight.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know about the double click, I guess it is possible that I hit the button twice. The motion sensor has gone off several times before as noted by other posters.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Why don't you test it? Set the alarm and stick your arm through the broken window and see if the alarm goes off. That sucks though. Hopefully nothing too valuable in your briefcase.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good idea! I will do that, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts