BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im taking my car to get some body work done soon. I found this place recommended by a friend called Automobilia in Orange Connecticut. Has any one heard anything about them, I drove down there today and they had some nice cars there and it seemed to be a very nice clean place that gave me a pretty good price. Here is their website http://automobiliaautosalon.com/

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
They're all crooks. It's one of the dirtiest business around. Referrals and published customer service ratings are useless. That's why you don't get responses.

1. Make sure to get several equivalent estimates and keep them as evidence just in case there is a problem after the repair. It will show your intentions of what you wanted done if they did not do what you paid them to do, ie you wanted them to pull a dent out, but they didn't and instead filled it with filler.

2. If you repair, let them know that you will verify that the dent was pulled out after the repair with a mil gauge. 9 of 10 shops will tell you the preference is to repair it because that's where they make their money. They will claim to pull out the dent in 7 hours and apply a "paper thin" layer of filler, but instead shave time by gobbing body filler and do it in 3 hours and charge you for 7 hours; fraud. Body filler requires artistry in this case and no shop has good artistry unless you really pay for it. You will get mis-shapened work and craters due to bursted air bubbles in the filler. It's all about a quick job and volume. If they pull the dent and use a "paper thin" layer of filler, it's a non-issue. Best thing to do is replace to avoid the doubt.

3. Take detailed pictures before the repair.

4. Converse in email, before, during and after the repair.

5. Before the repair, verify state license and complaints filed to the state. BBB is a useless organization.

6. Request to have all your parts back in writing before the work. This will verify if they actually replaced anything and charged you for it.

7. Request to have copies of all invoices for parts and shipping after the repair and before you pay. Do not be nice and leave without it. They will claim that parts broke and they had to buy a new part. They're basically charging you for parts they supposedly claim they replaced and labor that was not done. If it was done, verify that they're not charging you used parts for the price of a new. You could request it before the repair, but it will give them time to find ways to circumvent the fraud. Even if they broke parts during the repair, they should pay for it because you paid experts to fix your car, not do more damage to it. Let them know of this concern before the repair and ask who is liable in situations like this. Go somewhere else if you don't like the response.

8. Do not let them coerce you they can do a repair when it could be done via paintless dent repair. They want your money instead of the pdr business.

That's all I can think of right now.

Edit: Let the shop know of concerns #2, #5 and #6 after the estimate. Shops might increase the hours and rate and claim they need more hours to do the job right. The book should already state the hours needed to do the job right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts