BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dealer tells me UK shipments are arrivng faster than previously quoted. He said it's a deliberate BMW ploy to underpromise/overdeliver, at least in the UK?

Anyway, I'm not complaining :7: My car was supposed to be October deliv but is now built and on ship, arrives at dealer in a week. I can have it around 20 August but will wait till 1 Sept because of new 55 license plate, and I'm on vacation August.

The new car has TMC traffic info. I have never used this. AFAIK this is a gizmo which downloads traffic info like location of roadworks, lanes closed, roads closed, etc. It displays this as a list, or as icons on the satnav map. The source of the data might be highway authorities who know when a particular road is closed etc. Can existing TMC users tell me, have I got that right?

In contrast, Trafficmaster on the e39 showed a picture/map of the road network, zoomable, with real time traffic speed as a series of icons on the map screen. The map image is a separate image stored on the Trafficmaster unit, it doesn't use the same image that is displayed by the satnav mapping, but that was ok to live with, if a little quirky. The source of data was a realtime live radio feed from the roadside blue cameras that measure actual vehicle speed.

If I have got this right, TMC is a step back. To make a routing decision you need real time data, dont you?. I'm gonna rip the traffic master out of the e39 and install it in the e60. It was retrofitted by BMW UK after the car was imported, AFAIK, so it must be retroremoveable. It's a black box above the CD box in the trunk, then a cable feed to the 2 switches on the dash. Easy to move to a new car (though....I haven't checked what antenna it uses). The tricky part will be getting the video picture from the traffic master unit into the video-in of the e60, downstream of the TV-not-in-motion cut off. That might be difficult.....

Any comments from existing TMC users? Is TMC better than I think it is? Do you prefer it to Trafficmaster?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Is this TMC standard on all new M5s with satnav?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MortenDK said:
Is this TMC standard on all new M5s with satnav?
It's standard in UK. I thought TMC had been up and running in continental Europe for a few years, but only recently activated in UK. My 2001 e39 has a TMC option via the satnav traffic info menu but it is greyed out becuase TMC didn't exist in UK

My dealer answered my question a bit today. He says TMC does get a real time data feed of traffic holdups via the Classic FM radio channel, and draws holdup icons onto the roads on the satnav map, so it kinda sounds ok. I'll see.

I agreed today with dealer that I'm getting the car August 26 but it will have to stay locked in my garage till 1 September becuase it has a 55-series licence plate that only becomes valid in UK on 1 september. Or midnight 31 Aug, to be precise!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts