BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my replacement engine it came with the wrong nuts on the valve cover. The original polished cap nuts from my broken engine didn't get swapped over unfortunately.

As my OCD kicked in about this I decided to buy some replacements. When they arrived I was disappointed to find that they now come with a dull zinc finish. As they cost about £3 each I got to work trying to get them back to the correct finish. After some time with a wire brush, a dremmel and some polish the zinc coating was removed and the nuts now look like they should. To describe the process as a laborious pain in the arse does it no justice at all.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Great work Dan , they definitely look better polished .

I'm slightly hesitant to say that I have a fair few of the originals in the workshop that I would have happily sent you !

D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:mad: :mad:

I should have known to ask you first! There are 17 of the wretched things and it took me about 15 minutes to polish each one. hiha

·
Registered
431 Posts
Interesting. I bought a replacement recently too and it was not zinc finished but looked like a dull stainless steel. it polished up really nicely and (relatively) easily. the difference is that the new one seems quite tall vs the very squat original ones. yours look like the tall new one I have.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I bought a replacement recently too and it was not zinc finished but looked like a dull stainless steel. it polished up really nicely and (relatively) easily. the difference is that the new one seems quite tall vs the very squat original ones. yours look like the tall new one I have.
Hi Pete,

Are the originals the same as the cap nuts that hold the intakes to the throttle bodies? They have a smaller dome than these replacements.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have the short squat ones everywhere. valve cover, intakes, the little wiring cover on the front and the hose-clamp that holds the main engine loom to the plenum.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Mine are like that too... Square topped and chromed. The integral washer on them is pretty cool.

Never realised that there was a domed nut used too... The chap with the 90 3.6 that has just been posted had the domed ones all though the engine bay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts