BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i'm trying to change out a badly worn rotor and distributor cap ( no wonder its been taking longer and longer to start the car and some performance degradation!), but, I can't get the 3 screws/bolts off that hold it on ( 3mm)!!!! Since it has such a small opening ( 3mm) I feel like I"m going to break the allen wrench and I can 'feel' it JUST beginning to shread/ruin that 3mm socket opening ( i.e. 'round it out'). The replacement rotor I have is a Phillips head though.

Frustrating

ps I"m changing the plugs as well, does anyome suggest any other gap than the factory spec? ( I think its .24, bosch OEM replacement thus the same temp range). This is for my 1991 M5 w/160k miles ( USA)

thanks

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Have you tried soaking the screws with a penetrating oil first? Duck oil, WD40 etc.

If it doesn't work your going to have to just go or it. If you round the screws you can break the plastic cover (these screws are on the top?) and the get some grips on them when you have access.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem when I was changing out cap/rotor recently - what a b!tc*!. I ended up stripping one of the three 3mm hex screws, which made things even worse. Based on recommendation from another BMW board, I purchased Kano Kroil to soak the screws - letting it sit for 15 minutes and attempting again, the unstripped screws came off relatively easy. I actually got a 3mm hex bit for my rachet (online, nowhere to be found at local stores) and that was much better that the standard L shaped hex. Unfortunately, it was brute force with a vice grip for the 3rd (stripped) screw. Since the new rotors comes with new screws, it was not an issue destroying this final screw. While you are at it, check you ignition wires (they should all read the same resistance on ohm meter) and plugs (plug hole #6 had oil in it - fixed with new gaskets). Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've used small Vise Grip pliers on the bolt head and slipped a slot screwdriver through the jaws for some extra MA. Worked a treat. You've got a screw with a broad contact point and years of heat cycling to overcome. Who cares about some jaw marks on the screw heads?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts