BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow my glove compartment got stuck. I can pull on the latch .... but it won't open. Anyone ever had this happen before? Any workaround?

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just adding to this thread years later as this just happened to me and I now know what is going on.

The latch mechanism opens by a cam/lever when you lift the glove compartment latch. Although most of the latch parts are metal, the cam that moves the lever is plastic and the key corner wears out. This lets the cam go too far when you pull too hard on the latch and it gets stuck in this extended position, and the upper toggles are then stuck in the closed position (into the upper dash frame) as the cam lever is not being pushed open by the cam.

You can work the cam loose by turning the key in the latch to vertical (locked) as this rotates the cam and gets it out of the extended position. Then turn key back to left to get to the unlocked position and see if the glove compartment will open now when pulling gently on the opening latch. In my case I needed to push in on the glove box to relieve pressure on the upper toggle barbs so they will release when pulling up on the latch, without going pulling to hard on the latch and getting the cam stuck again.

I can't tell if the plastic cam is part of the lock kit or the internal latch part. The plastic cam fits around the lock cylinder and rotates with the lock cylinder, which is why turning to the lock position frees up the cam.

But I think the glove compartment alignment is part of the problem that causes the upper toggles to get stuck, and then you pull to hard on the opening latch, causing the extended cam problem. The alignment is done by the attachment of the glove box to the rod underneath the glove box. You get to this by removing the plastic panel below the dash and behind the glove box. Just slide the plastic panel forward and it will come off. Then loosen the clamps on the rod to get a better alignment of the glove box, so that the upper toggles don't get stuck when closed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you, this is good to know! I'm having problems with the glove box on my M5, too. A prior owner looks to have done a "meh" job at trying to fix it. For mine it looks like the level that pushes on the cam is missing from the assembly! I'm just going to try and get an assembly from a junkyard or via e-bay to get mine fixed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The latch mechanism opens by a cam/lever when you lift the glove compartment latch. Although most of the latch parts are metal, the cam that moves the lever is plastic and the key corner wears out.
I thought this was a good textual description, but had a hard time visualizing it until I took the latch out. Here is the worn out plastic cam from my car.

I can't tell if the plastic cam is part of the lock kit or the internal latch part. The plastic cam fits around the lock cylinder and rotates with the lock cylinder, which is why turning to the lock position frees up the cam.

But I think the glove compartment alignment is part of the problem that causes the upper toggles to get stuck, and then you pull to hard on the opening latch, causing the extended cam problem.
I am running into this problem now. I have replaced the old glove box latch with another one and the glove box opens well enough now, but I do have to press up on the entire box itself to get the latch to release, which is not the way its supposed to work. I guess I have to adjust it..

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have trouble with this too. One trick I learned if it is stuck is to press the door in as you pull the handle out (like the previous poster said). That relieves some of the pressure on the latch and may let you get it open. If the latch is stuck out, use the key to lock/unlock it and the handle will go in.

I tried to bond a small piece of metal to the plastic cam, but it quickly broke off. I'm getting by for now but if I work up a good fix I'll repost.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
If wiggling the door helps it could be that the door is not aligned correctly. The hinged part of the door is adjustable. If you have ever taken the glove box out you will understand. To hard to explain but easy to understand if you are looking at it. Crawl in and look at how the hinge works loosen it and realign and re clip and see if it does not work better. No tools required. There is a good thread on how to adjust the glove box in the E38 section of Bimmerforums written by shogun IIRC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wifes 2012 328i BMW glove box will not open. I have tried all fixes that look like they might work given on this web. HELP, our state inspection is due and we have the paper work in the glove box.That is not locked,the position is vertical and when the car was purchased the key was missing. what to dooooooo ????

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wifes 2012 328i BMW glove box will not open. I have tried all fixes that look like they might work given on this web. HELP, our state inspection is due and we have the paper work in the glove box.That is not locked,the position is vertical and when the car was purchased the key was missing. what to dooooooo ????
I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking about carefully taking a cutting wheel to the lower latch until I can access the internal disengagement levers and open the box, since I'm going to replace the latch anyway. I'll update you if I find a fix, good luck!

·
Registered
2000 M5
58 Posts
Somehow my glove compartment got stuck. I can pull on the latch .... but it won't open. Anyone ever had this happen before? Any workaround?

Thanks!
This is happen to me right now‼ It would jam then un jam‼....now it seems as if its totally jamed ‼ Would have to but a new glove box or latch 🤔🤔🤔

1 - 10 of 10 Posts