BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a helmet on and windows open, I can't hear the engine on trackdays - I'm finding the rev limiter before I know it. I'd like to modify the exhaust for the right volume but keep it civil on the streets. Please help - first hand track experience would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
EWidra said:
With a helmet on and windows open, I can't hear the engine on trackdays - I'm finding the rev limiter before I know it. I'd like to modify the exhaust for the right volume but keep it civil on the streets. Please help - first hand track experience would be great. Thanks.

Kelleners, but I am biased, I like it loud and far from civilized, after all, its rough down here in So Texas, Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bmwusa said:
Kelleners, but I am biased, I like it loud and far from civilized, after all, its rough down here in So Texas, Josh
Thanks, but how loud is loud? Any comparison you can offer. Right now all I hear are 911's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup, that's what happens. I even did some laps with both front windows down. A louder exhaust may help, but I wouldn't change it just for that reason. And if you start to run in traffic it will be lost in all the other noise. Ideally you'd want to get an indicator which lights up at 1-2-3 rev points, preferably one you could adjust the points on. Haven't really looked for one yet. BUT-I did find that I was a little more attuned to the engine when I got some good driving shoes. Maybe just psychological but I thought it helped.

EWidra said:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Beast power has some clips, and I am getting mine installed this saturday, I will take some video of my exhaust and of S/C Kelleners car, so you can hear, of course I will have to figure out how to post it but all in due time, Josh

·
Registered
463 Posts
EWidra said:
I hear it with the Tubi exhaust, but with the wind noise and helmet, it's pretty muted. I would also find it difficult to pinpoint redline based only on engine sound. The answer, I think, is knowing from experience (seat time on a particular track) what your rpms are/should be at critical points on that track, and likewise knowing where on the track you'll generally need to upshift. I'm only beginning to be able to gauge how well I've taken a particular turn or section based on my exit rpm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EdP said:
I hear it with the Tubi exhaust, but with the wind noise and helmet, it's pretty muted. I would also find it difficult to pinpoint redline based only on engine sound. The answer, I think, is knowing from experience (seat time on a particular track) what your rpms are/should be at critical points on that track, and likewise knowing where on the track you'll generally need to upshift. I'm only beginning to be able to gauge how well I've taken a particular turn or section based on my exit rpm.
Thanks for the advice. Do you have the regular Tubi or the Remore (sp?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts