BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have had the M5 3 weeks now. Obviously the weather here in the UK has been terrible with freezing temperatures. This week has actually not been so bad but 2nd gear on any road even if its dry the car just spins the wheels and the DSC cuts in. I'm thinking it must be the weather. Was really annoying though when I was on a road with a Boxster S in front of me who put his foot down. I was in 3rd around 40mph and followed him. Wheels spun in 3rd and had a hairy moment as the back stepped out of line and I had to correct it. Not really a scary moment but I was a little bemused as by this time the Boxster had gone. Got to the lights and again I already knew there was no point me even trying as the M5 would never get off the line properly. I was right, Boxster got the jump, I followed behind but then we got caught in traffic. I'm wondering if it could be something else. I appreciate the car has done 87k miles so its not going to be as tight as it used to be but could it be suspension bushes or the like? Any ideas what would cause the spinning apart from the weather. I should probably go check the tyre pressures as well. Anyone else having similar problems? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Check the tire pressure, make sure they are not overinflated

Most importantly, check your driving style. You are new to the car, and DSC is helpful. But DSC is still not by any means a "Floor it and forget it" type system. You should drive as IF DSC was off, even when its on. Dont rely on DSC to give you traction, DSC is only there to keep you from losing more traction after YOU already lost it. Its still your job to feather the throttle in lower gears and drive it like its a 400HP RWD sedan not a 100HP FWD ford focus. I dont usually give more than 30% throttle in first, but I can usually get full on the throttle into 2nd and the tires just chirp. Your car, your roads, and your driving style is different - find what works for you.

If possible I would also recommend finding a big open parking lot or somewhere you can practice driving with DSC off to get the hang of it. Do it somewhere safe though, where you can slide without breaking something. Learn how you can drive without losing traction with DSC off, then drive that way with DSC on.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Don't know what temps are like in the UK right now nor what tires you are running, but summer compound rubber is absolutely terrible when roads and air temps are cold. What temp varies with specific tire/rubber compound but (and this is a guess), my bet is that performance starts to fall off significantly below 50F.

·
Registered
12 Posts
RoundelM5 speaks the truth.

I have an E60 535 x-drive with summer rubber, and it was absolutely treacherous when the temps dropped below 40degF a few weeks ago.

My E39 M5 has all-seasons and it actually had better traction off the line.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
regardless of the tire, if your m5 is stock, you are on dry pavement, and the temp is above -10*C, you should not be spinning the tires while rolling on the throttle in 3rd gear - summer tires or not.

what size wheels and tires are you running? if the stagger is too far off it can cause the DSC to act up more than it should.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, check the tyres for sure and possibly also have the limited slip diff checked out. It may that you're trying to put 400hp thru one wheel!

·
Registered
105 Posts
regardless of the tire, if your m5 is stock, you are on dry pavement, and the temp is above -10*C, you should not be spinning the tires while rolling on the throttle in 3rd gear - summer tires or not.
I can vouch that in the current UK weather, spinning the wheels in 3rd with DSC off is very easy to do.

There's no way that you can put all of the M5's power down in these kind of road conditions. You'll make quicker progress on part throttle than if you floor it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had the DSC light coming on in 3rd gear after putting my Bridgestone Blizzaks on. Tire is only 245mm wide, temps have been in the 20's in Boston, but still surprised to see the DSC light come on at 75% throttle. I put 120 lbs. of "tube sand" in the trunk and that seemed to help quite a bit. I did set the tire pressure at 36 psi, maybe shave a pound or two off. It's a little frustrating having all this cold air to feed the engine, but not enough traction to put it down. Oh, the irony of it all!

·
Registered
33 Posts
DSC is great system and it really can help and save. BUT! as people say it still unable to deny the physics.
I have experienced it personally with overinflated tyres on limit on wet roundabout surface - did it partially sideways in blink of the eye without pressing right foot or do something "special" (and it was just 530i). DSC just wasn't in position to provide any help or correction.

Agree with people above:
- check tyres state
- check tyres pressure
- check tyres type - good summers didn't work at +1-2 at all
- and re-check your driving style
- wait for summer :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
With all the salt/grit that's on the roads in the UK at the moment they are very slippery. My DSC is lighting up even in 5th on occasion (crossing a painted line for example) at the moment with my winter tyres on.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Since fitting my supercharger my DSC bulb has blown !

Anyway OP : What tyre type and manufacturer are you using ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. I have owned plenty of very fast cars, E46 M3, 3 CSLs, 997 C2S, SLK55 AMG to name just a few. My CSL was very annoying in cold weather as well, just couldn't get the power down but because it had less torque it never seemed as bad as the M5. The 997 was amazing due to the engine being in the back, traction was brilliant off the line and in gear. What I'm trying to work out is if there is anything amiss, suspension wise, diff wise which is causing this or hopefully it's just a case of tyre pressures and cold weather. I'm running Conti Sport 2s and there is loads of tread on them.

I'm probably going to send the car to Evolve in the New Year anyway for a check over so hopefully if there is anything wrong they will find it.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
what size wheels and tires at what pressures?

·
Registered
884 Posts
It is the soft compound tires and low temps, same problem here with my E60 road temps are mid 20,s at best the tires are rock hard. My choice was to put winter tires on or park it, so I parked it since I could not justify the cost of the winter tires since I dont take the M out when there is crap on the roads.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i'm in a very similar position to the OP

Had the car 3 months, 3k miles old pirelli all season tyres.

Exactly the same thing, very little traction in 2nd, will still spin up in 3rd.

it's unusually cold don't forget this time of year. and there is an unusual amount of salt.

if its like this when its warm and dry i'll be frustrated, right now i'm putting it down to the monster torque.

·
1,939 Posts
As a biker and M5 driver I can testify to just how slippery the roads are right now, even when dry. There's salt for a start, and even on clear dry days the surface always seems to be slightly damp. I'm also regularly lighting the M5 up, though I've had it long enough and am sufficiently used to it that I *usually* only do it when I'm arsing around.

On the bike I get frequent enough slides that I'm getting extremely good at controlling both them and the involuntary bowel movements that seem to come at the same time...

Just be gentle but firm and she'll reward you accordingly :)

YG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts