BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Can't connect to INPA & ISTA-D

31K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  335xi 
#1 ·
Sorry but I've searched and tried for the past 6 hours today with no luck.

I already had INPA and ISTA and been using without any issues on the R53 (2004 Mini Cooper S) & E53 (2005 X5) and always worked with no problems.

I'm using a cheapo K+DCAN USB from ebay since I'm only using for diagnostics and have the pin 7/8 double K adapter which I use as well.

But regardless of using the Double K-line adapter or not, I can't communicate with my E60/E63, INPA shows both black dots for the Cable & Ignition but keep getting IFH-0003 error but all is correct as it still works for my other cars. And on ISTA+ it just doesn't detect it at all, just tells me to double check if the car is connected or not.

Going nuts here, need some new set of eyes to tell me what I'm missing here? My only other thought is this cheap cable somehow worked on older models with the Double K-line adapter but as a regular/single K+DCAN it wont?

#3 ·
It sounds like the daten files on the e60 folder might be corrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worth taking a look, I will get latest SP Daten files and update it. But it's not like I can't get to NCSExpert, INPA and ISTA doesn't even detect the E63.

Reactions: CucoM5
#4 ·
If you can't connect, the port number may be wrong or the latency is higher than 1. Make sure you have correct port and latency.
Also, if it's a cheapo cable, the official ftdi drivers WILL NOT work with it. The only work with genuine ftdi chip cables. Most cheapo cables have cloned chip sets. You need older drivers that did not check for authenticity. The ones I have say CDM v2.08.30 WHQL Certified

#5 ·
Com 1 and Latency 1, works fine on my Mini and E53.

I ordered a Bimmergeeks cable as well but have doubts it's the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
I struggled for hours just the other day on a 2008 M5 (USA/SMG). I know my way around Windows. After confirming the installation and the correct position of the cable switch (my cable has that pins7/8 bridge switch), after locating and installing the USB drivers for the two devices that the cable chip adds to Windows (one was the USB "serial emulator" and the other was the "serial port"), I suspected, and that proved to be a correct assumption, that the prevalent instruction to use COM9 and latency of 1 to be the culprit. Here are all the deviations from published instructions that made the difference in my case:
  • I chose to install Microsoft dependencies from Microsoft site and not the ones provided in the bundle (that is .NET framework and VC redistributables)
  • Since I was installing on Win 7 (not on 10), I had to source USB drivers myself (the ones that were bundled in the install weren't complete - missing Win 7 DLLs)
  • The bundle installs two separate EDIBAS installations. The bundle came with instructions to configure only one of them (the one used by INPA), but that left the one used by ISTA incorrectly configured. Just copy the configuration from the one that is documented to the other one
  • The ISTA EDIABAS did not have obd configuration file at all. I copied the one that I found under the INPA/root EDIABAS.
  • The bundle (and many other sources on the net) instructs to change port settings through Windows Device Manager to COM9. Not needed. If your drivers installed correctly, keep the port that was assigned by the install. In my case it was COM3. Just update your odb config file(s) to that value and don't touch Windows. This was the last step that made everything work correctly - I reverted back to COM3 (I had followed instructions and made it COM9) and I also reverted back the latency to the default value (I think it I left it at 16 when everything worked - don't have that machine around right now).
Let me know if you need more details - I will get that laptop and give you exact folders, filenames, etc.

#7 ·
I have the ediabas & obd INI files correctly and both have the interface set to std:eek:bd and the correct port (COM 1)

I'm waiting for my BG cables before I go insane trying the same thing over over again lol.

I know it's not my settings or else it shouldn't work on my Mini and X5.

#25 ·
have the interface set to std:eek:bd and the correct port (COM 1)

I'm waiting for my BG cables before I go insane trying the same thing over over again lol.

I know it's not my settings or else it shouldn't work on my Mini and X5.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
I am getting
NET-0015: HOST NOT FOUND
with Rheingold when I try to do the vehicle identification.
INPA dots show up and respond when I turn ignition on/off. I followed the instructions from that thread.

#9 ·
Yes and both black dots light up. When I select a module it gives me IFH-0003 error.

On ista it just tries to scan for vin then just says can't connect make sure cable is connected.

#10 ·
Well it looks like it was the cheapo cable.

Works on older E chassis and MINI but not on the E63.

Bought a cable new one from Bimmergeeks and was able to connect right away.

Reactions: CucoM5
#13 ·
I got my ISTA running on windows 10 and working fine on my 2006 M5.

I used the files above and followed the guide.

#14 ·
Apologies if this has been answered but I am pretty confused on the software tools folks use. Inpa/Ista and other names...I used to have an e46 02 330ci and downloaded the software with a VM loader and comm ports set up etc...almost 5 years ago. I tried using the same app on my e60 M5 and it's not working some sort of compatibility issue...can someone please send me if the link above works and do things like monitor engine health, customization of lights or CA for ex, reset maintenance items, check error messages etc... I was about to pull the trigger on some ebay DVDs and whatnot ($40+) but am sure there are free software out there and do t want to spend a lot of time installing and getting the wrong one.

TIA!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
Its best if you do your own research as this topic is very extensive. Good news is that there is plenty of information in the web.

A good baseline explanation would be the following:

INPA - engineering software to get real time information from modules, read codes and erase codes, you can also activate modules to check functionality.

NCS - engineering software to perform coding and customize lights, displays etc.

Winkfp - engineering software to flash and update module firmware. I.e. update SMG with Euro software.

ISTA - Dealer software. Its a newer version of what used to be BMW DIS. It contains the maintenance manual with instructions, torque values etc. it also allows you to read/erase codes, activate different components, perform maintenance operations such as vanos bleed, SMG adaptation, etc. it also allows you to flash modules.

All these softwares use the same root directories (ediabas and daten files)

I’m sure I missed a bunch of things but hope this gives you some idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
ISTA-D is for Diagnostics also known as Rheingold and ISTA-P is for programming like when you get new modules and updating firmware on it.

ISTA-D also includes everything on newtis.info website in the software.

You can download everything for free from bimmergeeks website.

Reactions: HM506
#20 ·
I'm running INPA and ISTA-D on my Win 7 without any issues. I have a dedicated thinkpad that I only use for this and other tuning software for other cars.

Reactions: HM506
#21 ·
I can confirm win10 works fine for INPA and ISTA-P. I coded my off my win 10 laptop but its all in german and i cant find the english versions of the software if there is any

#24 ·

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.