BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I can't close my trunk. The lock engaged when the trunk was open. This happened to me with my wife's E34 525, and now it's happened to me on my M5. I can not remember how I unlocked/unlatched it last time. I think it had something to do with unlocking the door (driver side) while pushing in on the bottom pin (which turns off the light) and then "prying" open the latch. However this is not working.

Any ideas before my battery dies? Thanks in advance.

David

·
Registered
67 Posts
First, I don't know the answer....but it seems like you have the right idea in pushing the button on the trunk...that's the only way the system knows that the trunk is open, right? I would try unlocking using the trunk lock (2) while HOLDING the button (FIRST).
The onlyu other thought is that there is a mercury switch in the trunk somewhere (like some other cars trunk lights) which also knows about the trunk being up. Let us know when you find out..
regards,
Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill, thanks for your response. I finally remembered that when this happened to my wife's 525i, I had to take the "carpet" off the trunk lid and fumbled around with the "top" of the lock. Something "clicked" and the latch released.

David

PS. How come you are a "member" and I am only an "associate member"? Is it an E34 Vs. E39 distinction :) ????

·
Registered
67 Posts
David,
I guess the 'member' vs 'junior member' thing must have to do with age. Too bad for me. I have a 1992 E34....I am nowhere near being willing to spend $80K for a car. I'd much rather have another used E34 (actually I REALLY want an M3 convertible).
Glad you got the thing closed.
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts