BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a tune from jailbreak tuning through the group deal. I bought a Galletto 1260 cable from amazon. Using the software that jailbreak sent me I tried to read the ECU data but kept getting "Turn 10sec off and turn on the dashboard wait 10sec before continue" (see attached). I tried several different laptops, desktops, operating systems, drivers, different versions of the Galletto software, etc... all with the same error. Talked with Bobby at jailbreak, he sent me two more Galletto cables. First one I tried I got the same error. Second one I tried it connected and I was able to read the ecu and send him my read file. Bobby had a quick turn around sent me the tuned file. I went to download the file and I again got the same error now with all three cables. I have been trying to diagnose this now for the past week searching and trying everything with no results. VERY FRUSTRATING!

I have a fresh battery in the car and have a 6A charger hooked up. I checked and am getting voltage 12.68 at both pin 1 and 16 on the OBDII port. Both pin 4 and 5 are grounded. I checked all fuses. I pulled the OBD port connector out and checked for any loose wires. I checked the DME for any loose or strange wiring. I am able to read/ clear codes and see live data with a Bluetooth OBDII dongle. I have the BMW scanner v1.4.0 and am able to read and clear the DME error codes. I do get codes 63 Internal index 246 and 59 internal index 240 (see attached). I am able to read memory with BMW scanner but I get errors and most of the data is FF or B1. With BMWflash it recognizes my cable attached and when I try and read it says attempting to connect and then does nothing (see attached). I also have the MSSflasher installed and it recognizes cable but wont identify the ecu.

I am frustrated and lost on what to do next. Car starts and runs great no issues there. It is strange that it did connect once and I was able to read the DME. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am determined to solve this so no one as to go through this!

I didn't want this to be my first thread. I hope to post of all pictures from my "restoration" project soon once I get this sorted. Car is turning out incredible just wish I could flash the DME.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
What year is your car? I recall there being an issue with MY'00 cars (I think) where the OBDII port wasn't able to talk to the DME successfully with out a re-flash. Otherwise, given the symptoms it sounds like a physical fault in the wiring between the OBDII port and the DME. There are a number of us in the Chicago area. If you come down to the city this weekend, I can swap my DME into your car and attempt to read it with my copy of MSSFlasher / my D-CAN/KLINE cable. That'll help you narrow down where the fault might be.

Reactions: mgdmb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is your car? I recall there being an issue with MY'00 cars (I think) where the OBDII port wasn't able to talk to the DME successfully with out a re-flash. Otherwise, given the symptoms it sounds like a physical fault in the wiring between the OBDII port and the DME. There are a number of us in the Chicago area. If you come down to the city this weekend, I can swap my DME into your car and attempt to read it with my copy of MSSFlasher / my D-CAN/KLINE cable. That'll help you narrow down where the fault might be.

If there is a physical fault between OBDII port and DME would I be able to read data with bmw scanner or OBD scanner? I'm not sure how pin 7 and 8 are wired and what data gets passed along through the various ecu's.

I might take you up on that offer this weekend.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

If there is a physical fault between OBDII port and DME would I be able to read data with bmw scanner or OBD scanner? I'm not sure how pin 7 and 8 are wired and what data gets passed along through the various ecu's.

I might take you up on that offer this weekend.
That's a good question that I don't have an answer for! Don't actually know if we can swap DMEs for a wiring test. I know you can't start your car with mine, but I expect that I can still read my DME over your OBDII port. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Could this be a licence issue of some sort?

I assume to protect you from simply writing the tune to all and sundry that the software is licensed to your particular DME.

All other attempts to connect to an unlicensed DME result in a connection error. It does happen on other software and i wonder because you can read the DME that therefore the cable must be able to establish a connection.

The only other thing i can think of is that the DME has had too many writes or attempt sot it so the counter is maxxed out. You can get a program to reset this counter too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could this be a licence issue of some sort?

I assume to protect you from simply writing the tune to all and sundry that the software is licensed to your particular DME.

All other attempts to connect to an unlicensed DME result in a connection error. It does happen on other software and i wonder because you can read the DME that therefore the cable must be able to establish a connection.

The only other thing i can think of is that the DME has had too many writes or attempt sot it so the counter is maxxed out. You can get a program to reset this counter too.
I am confused by your license comment.
I am only able to read DME with BMW scanner and that is limited. When I try and read memory with BMW scanner I get read errors.

If my flash counter was maxed I still should be able to identify the DME with mssflasher and then be able to reset the counter, but I can't get it to even read the DME "Trouble Iding the ecu".

My current diagnosis (slight educated guess) is that it is some connection issue between the OBDII port and DME or the DME itself is having issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you seen this thread, or more importantly the last few posts by "nightkrawler" in this thread?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/240585-comprehensive-mss52-dme-information.html

Similar to what you are experiencing?
Yes, read through the entire thread. It is a bit similar to "nightkrawler" but I was able to read once and only once. Previous owner never had a tune and didn't buy the car with one. I also can't even ID or verify connection to DME. If the DME was lcoked, shouldn't I be able to atleast identify or establish a connection to DME with some of these tools?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I appreciate the PM's that I am getting but unfortunately I don't have enough posts yet to reply.

Note:
Car does start and drive normally. I have been driving car for past few weeks without issue.
I do not have the round diagnostic port in the engine bay.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am having the same exact problem as the OP. I have also been working with Bobby to resolve. He has been very helpful but I'm stuck at the same exact error message.

March 2001 build date.

I've been provided advice to disconnect battery then reconnect and also try using a different program to read the ecu.

I was trying to use the Galletto 1260 that jailbreak provided and the drivers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am having the same exact problem as the OP. I have also been working with Bobby to resolve. He has been very helpful but I'm stuck at the same exact error message.

March 2001 build date.

I've been provided advice to disconnect battery then reconnect and also try using a different program to read the ecu.

I was trying to use the Galletto 1260 that jailbreak provided and the drivers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I also tried the battery disconnect over night with no luck. I even pulled the DME for several hours with no change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my vag-com cable in yesterday, but in my haste I didn't make sure it was an FTDI chip based cable :frown. I am getting another Galletto cable in today so maybe I will have better luck tonight.

Chuffy, can you pm me your email and we can talk about meeting this weekend? I would PM you, alas I cannot.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
You were referred to the other thread, is it possible that the cars had Evolve software in them? Evolve basically takes all control away from you when you install their software. They do it under the pretense of protecting their software.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You were referred to the other thread, is it possible that the cars had Evolve software in them? Evolve basically takes all control away from you when you install their software. They do it under the pretense of protecting their software.
Sailer, from my experience, an Evolve-protected DME can still be identified by MSS Flasher. It's only when you start to read from it that it errors out. I'm meeting with the OP on Sunday. Hopefully we can narrow the problem down.

Reactions: kmharvs33

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Possible, yes. Likely, no. Previous owner never had any tuned installed and he didn't give me the impression that one had ever been done in the past. That being said it is on my investigation list.

I am going to meet with chuffykow Saturday and we should know a lot more then.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received another Galletto cable today, which makes 4, and same result. I am more confident now that it is not a cable issue.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If you have Evolve software on the car then your tune is locked. Guess how I know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts