BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Got the workshop to check my "permanent" DSC light today and they couldn't access the ABS section in the INPA.
The technician said it's usually a sure sign that you'll need to replace the module if you can't get into it via INPA.

I've found a new unit for sale which i'm about to purchase now, just curious if anyone else is had the same experience when needing to replace their module (not being able to access the section in INPA).

Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thought I would shed some light on the following topic for you, seems to be quite a common problem so I wouldn't be too worried about the issue. Was there a command error when he pressed the ABS section? Before you go ahead and make and order try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so and then reconnect it and see if it cures the fault!

According to this particular website here it appears as though your ''ABS'' module has failed and needs to be replaced.

Dashboard lights - ABS Sensor? - E39 1996-2004 - BMW 5 Series Owners Board

If not, take a look at this website that talks about the ''DSC light permanently on'' http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/60400-dsc-light-permanently-on/

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which diag port are you connecting to ? do you have the larger round connector under the bonnet. My module was toast but i could still read it with INPA & Scanner v1.4 using the under bonnet connector.
Hi Clayton good advice.
Will check using the under bonnet connector tomorrow.

But i'm sure it's the module that's why we couldn't access the menus so i'll go ahead and get a new module.

Thanks again Clayton!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
if you have the under-bonnet connector that is the sole reason for lack of connectivity.

in E39s with the under-hood connector, the in-car OBD2 port will only read DME faults; unless you've built a jumper to connect the BUS data lines to the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That's correct, until 2000 you had the 20 pins OBD1 for the other modules and the 16 pin OBD2 for DME.
I think there is an interference on the K line with his ABS module. Before buying the module, I should do a swap to see or it can be read ? It can also be short circuit in a connector and not your module.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Then you need to connect under the hood with the 20 pins plug to connect to ABS and other modules.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry guys it's a 2000 model build in late 1999 (old signature never corrected lol).

Here is how we connected it yesterday
If you don't have the 16 to 20 pin converter cable, you can use this modification to read from the in car connector.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sh*t thanks Clayton that's great! :beerglass:

The wealth of knowlege on here amazes me. Thanks again mate.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Bringing an old thread up from the dead.

I have a MY2000 and I am trying to diagnose a "trifecta of yellow lights". I can only access the ABS module from under the hood. I am using GT1/DIS, but I do have INPA I could use.

Jumping the pins as shown above, will allow me how much access using the interior connector? I want to be able to monitor the wheel speed sensors while driving. I certainly can't do that while connected under the hood. :M5launch:eek:uich

Thanks

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Excellent. Thank you. Looks like I have something to try this weekend.

Also, while on the topic. I've been doing some research and I may possibly need my ABS unit rebuilt. I don't want to jump the gun however. Unfortunately, I had ordered an aftermarket (siemens) wheel speed sensor before doing much research into these issues. I hope I'm not going to chase my tail now. When the original fault happened, it didn't take long until the speedo stopped working. After I replaced the sensor the speedo now works again. I thought that was the smoking gun and had the issue fixed until the lights returned.
I want to monitor the speed sensors as my next test. If all appears OK, how and what should I test on the ABS unit to check for internal faults? (In other words, how do I confirm that the module is actually bad) I'm not one to just replace/rebuild parts on a whim.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Heavy steering & tyre pressure monitor alarm indicates that the module is faulty. A faulty front wheel speed sensor will also give the abs & dsc lights to stay on,

Thanks
Clayton
Hmm. Well the first time I read the codes (weeks ago), there was a code for the right front sensor in addition to the others. Since replacing the rear sensor I have not had any other codes come back except for that rear one.

I will do some testing tonight or tomorrow and report back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
technician117
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing