BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Back in 1995 a small group of pioneers at Sympatico.ca united to create a web portal that offered links to valuable content. Although no one could have guessed how much and how fast the Internet would grow Sympatico continued to develop this content. Now just 15 short years later with global alliances and multiple innovations in web advertising Sympatico.ca has developed into Canada's largest Media and Communications Company."

Man on a mission: We talk to the boss of BMW M - Sympatico.ca Autos

<p><object id="flashObj" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="600" height="338" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="@videoPlayer=773781442001&playerID=424522351001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABDgTRIE~,dClR7p8J_XU4xq-zTTWN0PbQWWxC0dCV&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="name" value="flashObj" /><param name="flashvars" value="@videoPlayer=773781442001&playerID=424522351001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABDgTRIE~,dClR7p8J_XU4xq-zTTWN0PbQWWxC0dCV&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed id="flashObj" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="338" src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" name="flashObj" allowscriptaccess="always" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" seamlesstabbing="false" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" flashvars="@videoPlayer=773781442001&playerID=424522351001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABDgTRIE~,dClR7p8J_XU4xq-zTTWN0PbQWWxC0dCV&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"></embed></object></p>

The man in charge of the most famous letter in the automotive world sits down across the table, flanked by a pair of public relations bodyguards.

To get a seat at this table, you have to go through three reception desks, each time providing credentials and explaining you have an appointment.

Dr. Kay Segler is the managing director of BMW M GmbH, the high-performance arm of the old German automaker. His division is besieged on both sides at the moment: enthusiasts think M has lost the plot, while the current market is pushing greener, smaller, more practical cars.

He has the weary but willing look of an automotive executive on his second day of interviews at the 2011 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. He’s wearing the usual uniform, a dark suit and tie. It feels like here-we-go-again, but then, he says something unusual:

“A man must have a passion for cars.”

He says the words quietly through a fine German accent – as if it is such a base notion it is almost embarrassing to speak aloud. Thing is, it’s something you never hear from auto execs. The passion for cars gets run over by product strategy and the difficulties of making a business case for a niche vehicle. Though, of course, he talked about those things too.

Before he’s hurried to his next interview, I pressed Segler about where his passion for cars comes from. Before he was old enough to have a licence, he remembers learning to drive on private roads. As a young man, this is where he developed a passion for cars.

“To just have the feeling that you are in control of a machine…was simply tremendous,” he says with a smile. “Let’s leave it like this.”

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
this guys is the man!! Def curious to see what new "gts" version will be coming out.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
GREAT NEWS. I currently have my M5 up at about 590HP and while the stock brakes work, they defiantly could use the extra stopping power. Which is why I am going to most likely do a Brembo 305mm/280mm setup (can't decide on custom color - FG&W or B&W).

I think the carbon ceramic brakes are just one of the upcoming features on the F10 M5. Theres no doubt in my mind that the F10 M5 will be a beast and supersede the E60 in every way. I am with everyone with the disappointment on the drop of the V10 (confirmed once again here) but I have faith that ///M will live up to it's letter.

This video makes me even more comfortable with the F10 M5. I appreciate Segler coming out to give us new information on the F10 M5... as information continues to be released in interviews or official press, people will be putting their names down on the list.

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree!

This video makes me even more comfortable with the F10 M5. I appreciate Segler coming out to give us new information on the F10 M5... as information continues to be released in interviews or official press, people will be putting their names down on the list.

·
Registered
172 Posts
GREAT NEWS. I currently have my M5 up at about 590HP and while the stock brakes work, they defiantly could use the extra stopping power. Which is why I am going to most likely do a Brembo 305mm/280mm setup (can't decide on custom color - FG&W or B&W).

I think the carbon ceramic brakes are just one of the upcoming features on the F10 M5. Theres no doubt in my mind that the F10 M5 will be a beast and supersede the E60 in every way. I am with everyone with the disappointment on the drop of the V10 (confirmed once again here) but I have faith that ///M will live up to it's letter.

Aaron when r u coming back to jersey so i can see that beast haha, or is it staying in miami all the time lol.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I can't wait to see this new F10 M5 that we have all been waiting for. Ceramic breaks are a fantastic package & I wonder if it will be an option on this new beast or standard.. ?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Optional I would guess. Not everybody want ceramic I beleive either.

I can't wait to see this new F10 M5 that we have all been waiting for. Ceramic breaks are a fantastic package & I wonder if it will be an option on this new beast or standard.. ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
This man definitely has a passion for cars, as well as the whole "M" division.

We forget when we complain about weight increases that "M" division has to work with what BMW gives them. If the F10 weighs 4300 lbs, it's hard to shed that weight while strengthening the cars.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definetly and for sure! Just see the passion he has when he talked to me! :checkeredflag: And this is from someone in a very high position at BMW. But it is exactly as it should be: passion and fun, THAT is what a job should be like and then you will be a great acheiver.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3TXLojKl_WM?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S0o7ByR-WNU?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts

We forget when we complain about weight increases that "M" division has to work with what BMW gives them. If the F10 weighs 4300 lbs, it's hard to shed that weight while strengthening the cars.
Also safety standards make the task even harder. Easy to understand how it is an 'uphill battle'.

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, I wonder what that was :dunno:
Honestly looking at the line up now. I would assume that realistically it would be the 1M GTS. That would be sick!!!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also confirmed by BimmerFile » Archive » BimmerFile Exclusive: BMW Testing Carbon Ceramic Brakes for M5

"Dr. Herbert Diess, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Purchasing and Supplier Network confirmed to BimmerFile that BMW ///M GmBH is currently testing carbon ceramic discs brakes for the ///M5 (and subsequently the ///M6). BMW is exploring options and working with its brake supplier, Brembo on a package suitable for application in the M5. Brembo is also supplying brake components, specifically the multi-piston calipers used in the new F10 M5. Brembo and SGL Carbon have established a joint venture for the manufacture of carbon brake discs; SGL and BMW have a joint venture as well to create carbon fiber for use in passenger cars.

The brake package is said to be about a year out from the market, putting the release within the same time as the M5 is to begin sales in the US. The package would retain the same calipers (although they will appear different) and feature larger discs."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts