BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... My dealer told me that the dvd in the front console has been disabled in Canada as it is illegal to watch dvd and drive at the same time, just like in the E39 M5's. This is very strage, because a friend of mine has the Lexus truck, and his console tv works as a dvd stock from the factory only while stationary..For the E39 M5, however, there was a kit for $1200 that you could unlock it and watch dvd's on the screen while stationary... With that kind of money, I can put 2 TV's in the back headrests and a dvd player...Id rather not dish out that kind of money for a "disabled" feature..Is there a way to just bypass the system?

·
Registered
174 Posts
BlackBM said:
Hey guys... My dealer told me that the dvd in the front console has been disabled in Canada as it is illegal to watch dvd and drive at the same time, just like in the E39 M5's. This is very strage, because a friend of mine has the Lexus truck, and his console tv works as a dvd stock from the factory only while stationary..For the E39 M5, however, there was a kit for $1200 that you could unlock it and watch dvd's on the screen while stationary... With that kind of money, I can put 2 TV's in the back headrests and a dvd player...Id rather not dish out that kind of money for a "disabled" feature..Is there a way to just bypass the system?

It wasn't just an "unlock". I had an E39 M5 which I converted. You had to buy a full tuner box from a European BMW source and it was then plug-n-play. The box bracket was already in the trunk and the wiring harness was ready to accept it. This part was a 15 min. installation. It spontaneously showed up in the Nav menu and worked beautifully. As I recall, however, the antenna connections were a real pain in the a**. They wired into the existing rear window antenna and required disassembly of the rear deck and inner linings of the C pillars. It was worth it though. I don't recall the price, but $1200 seems high.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you did need a tuner, since the DVD drive is used for data, not the presentation of Movie Format Images. Just like on your PC you can do lots with data on a DVD, like MS Streets etc., but it still takes a DVD Player software to "Play" a movie from a DVD.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The front DVD slot cannot play movie DVD's anywhere

The way BMW adds it to the 7 Series, and hopefually soon the 5 Series is by installing a DVD multichanger in the trunk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts