BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic HAS been brought up in the past, and it's been said that it's possible, but a dealer I talked to recently denied it (but it was a Winnipeg dealer, so who knows).

My question is simply this: Have any of you had any success in getting your DRLs disabled?

I know Canadian law says we are supposed to have them, but I'm not exactly concerned.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
No CDN BMW dlr will turn them off. I doubt most indy's would either due to the legal issues involved. Even my U.S. BMW dlr won't do it if the vehicle has a CDN registration plate. I know someone (private party) who can...but he's here in SoCal.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When I got mine done at Calgary BMW, they were even very specific about which light, the high-beam on low, had to be done. I wanted them to do the Angel Eye rings as the DRL's, but they refused. They charged me $200+ just to get them turned on. I was assuming it was a simple software switch and they would charge 1/2hr...maybe, but they stated they had to add a small wiring harness as well.

I would rather have the Angle Eye as the DRL's any day.

I have never approached and Indy shop here in town to do it, but I'm assuming there would be liability issues involved.

JP

·
Registered
151 Posts
got my X5 DRL's disabled at the dealer. and I'm going to go get my M5 DRL's re-disabled. It was a US car and I had to get them enabled in order for the car to pass federal inspections.

I hear parkview BMW in Toronto will do it for you, but you have to sign a disclaimer of some sort.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I hear parkview BMW in Toronto will do it for you, but you have to sign a disclaimer of some sort.
Interesting...even for a CDN car that they sold as opposed to a converted U.S.-spec car?...that is interesting.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'll ask an independent BMW mechanic and see if I can swing something. Maybe some money under the table. There's a couple I know of in Calgary.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interesting...even for a CDN car that they sold as opposed to a converted U.S.-spec car?...that is interesting.

my X5 was bought in Canada.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I got mine done at Calgary BMW, they were even very specific about which light, the high-beam on low, had to be done. I wanted them to do the Angel Eye rings as the DRL's, but they refused. They charged me $200+ just to get them turned on. I was assuming it was a simple software switch and they would charge 1/2hr...maybe, but they stated they had to add a small wiring harness as well.

I would rather have the Angle Eye as the DRL's any day.

I have never approached and Indy shop here in town to do it, but I'm assuming there would be liability issues involved.

JP
If your car is the same as mine they were not telling the truth about the harness. I watched the tech go thru the menu of personal options for the car which includes DRL on or off - he clicked the yes entry (among a few other personal choices including one click door locking) and they were on. I didn't get a charge, I think because I saw how simple the process was (and you couldn't get to a half hour of time booked unless the tech had a twelve minute walk to and back from the spot your car was parked in the lot...):typing:

If you find a solution I'd love to hear about it. I know that Umnitza says they have a DRL solution for angel eyes, but I would only want it if I could get the DRL's off (without having to drive to Minneapolis).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I went to an indie here in Oakville and had them turned off in about 40 seconds. Hooked up computer to the car and out they went.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to an indie here in Oakville and had them turned off in about 40 seconds. Hooked up computer to the car and out they went.
Is your car originally a Canadian car?

Someone needs to get a hold of the tech software.

·
Registered
151 Posts
they need the tech programming unit, which is really expensive. That's why most of the indie's can't do it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes my car's Euro (Canadian). Most indie's that specialize in Euro cars, will have the necessary tools to scan/make changes to the software.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's where I got it done, but the OP is from Calgary, so I didn't think it be of any help...btw caveat emptor when dealing with these guys.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm curious as to why you would want to disable your DRLs?

The function of DRL's is so that people can see you and not hit you. DRL's have definitely saved me a few times when i couldn't see on coming traffic under certain conditions.

·
Registered
151 Posts

The function of DRL's is so that people can see you and not hit you. DRL's have definitely saved me a few times when i couldn't see on coming traffic under certain conditions.
I hate the way it looks. During the day I drive with Angel Eyes and fogs on so that people can still see me.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
For some reason, my car doesn't have DRL's. The guy I bought it from said it had them but you had to keep the switch in the A/Auto position and they turn on no matter what but the lows and everything turn on and not just a lower current going to the high beams. My car still somehow passed inspection!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hmmmm..Gamite.I just read your last post..Ahhh, if you are driving how are you seeing what lights are on?..Maybe I am having a "moment", but it would seem to be a difficult thing to do...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1. Relying on other people not to hit you because of the pretty lights is not the best idea. Defensive driving is the only solution.
2. If people cannot see a shiny blue car driving towards them, they shouldn't be on the road. If it is dark, my headlamps come on automatically.

I used to ride a motorcycle, and I'd always leave the high beams on during the day to make sure people can see me.

It was overcast, and I was riding home from work. Some obviously blind woman decided to make a left hand turn out of a parking lot in front of me. I had a metallic red/black bike, red/black/white racing leathers, and a metallic red/grey/black helmet, and my high beams on, and she couldn't see me. I had to do a stoppie and came to a halt about a foot from her door. I then proceeded to flip my visor up, and yell at her for being such an unattentive idiot driver who could have almost caused a very serious accident.

My point is that, in my experience, bright lights don't get people's attention unless they are red and blue and accompanied by a siren.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts