BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for this with no luck.

My rear electric sunshade has stains or discoloring in some areas, looking really bad. There is some discoloring also on the side manual shades but not as bad as the rear.

Can this shade be painted or refinish?

As always, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
is it stained or faded? have you taken it out and washed it? I suppose you could paint it (spray) just do it very lightly and with quality stuff (primer?) also let it off-gas for a few days before putting it back in your car.

can't say this topic has been covered much, good work.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Man by the time you go through all the trouble of getting it out i would consider just replacing it...They do come up used now and then: I dont think paint would be the ticket if thats the route you want to take, as it needs to roll up pretty tight and would likely crack and/or stick to itself...Some sort of dye perhaps?

Since i tinted my windows, i think i've deployed mine like twice just to show people the sillyness of the thing...I've NEVER driven with the it out since it obscures my rear view, and that's where the cops are going to come from...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Been searching for this with no luck.

My rear electric sunshade has stains or discoloring in some areas, looking really bad. There is some discoloring also on the side manual shades but not as bad as the rear.

Can this shade be painted or refinish?

As always, thanks for your help!
Just thinkin' out loud... Shoe polish?

-crds

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some said a picture is worth a thousand words, check out my rear shade:

Flaking or sticking is definately my main concern with painting the shade, have anyone tried this before.

A good dye sound more like it, something similar to the leatherique dye may work?

I don't want to change the shade since it's functioning perfectly.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
If it were me I would remove the fabric entirely and dye it in black. I am not sure what kind of dye you would need though. I have never heard or seen of anyone having to do this before. Make sure whatever dye you get is meant for the kind of fabric it is.

I do know you do not need leatherique, unless they have some sort of dye I am not aware of. Their main product is a vinyl sort of paint that goes onto leather to make it look new. It gives it a latex feel and if you did that to the sunshades they would no longer be open or porous - they would become sunblockers not sunshades. You need a dye rather than a coating like what leatherique is.

Do not paint it or do any sort of thick cloth repair to it. Leatherique is meant to repair seats and things like that. You need a fabric dye. A local craft store should have something like what you are looking for. I do not have sunshades so I couldnt tell you what material they are and therefore what dye you need. Perhaps uninstall a sunshade and take it to a local store to see if they can help.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts