BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question just popped up in my head...

Do you feel the E39 M5 will one day appreciate over the E60 M5 in the next couple of years? For example a MY00 M5 with 100K miles would be worth the same/more then an MY06 M5 with 100K miles in 5 years perhaps?

P.S. don't post this over in the E60 M5 sub-forum, I would hate to start a heated debate :blabla::biggrin:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Its already starting to happen. E39 M5s have stayed at about $10-20K for a few years now, E60 M5s are continuing to depreciate like a rock. There are already low mile E39 M5's worth more than some E60 M5's as the E60's move into $25k territory. Its happening because the type of person to buy a used car is usually the type who likes to work on their own cars, and E60's are way too complicated for most garage mechanics. The E39 M5 is just as fulfilling to drive, more so to some people, and infinitely easier to work on. We are talking analog vs. digital. Some will wrench on their E60 M5's for years but more often than not, especially once the E60 loses its allure for being a newer model, the E39 values will stay constant.

There were probably people asking this same question years ago about the E30 M3 vs. E36 M3 values and look what happened there. In under 10 years I expect E60 M5's to be $10k-15K cars whereas good condition E39's will hold their current values. However, I do not think the E39 M5 will continue to appreciate, there are too many of them out there to really be considered a collectible. But thats certainly just my opinion, one not shared with everyone here.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were probably people asking this same question years ago about the E30 M3 vs. E36 M3 values and look what happened there. In under 10 years I expect E60 M5's to be $10k-15K cars whereas good condition E39's will hold their current values. However, I do not think the E39 M5 will continue to appreciate, there are too many of them out there to really be considered a collectible. But thats certainly just my opinion, one not shared with everyone here.
5,115 of the E30 M3s were brought into the U.S. compared to 9,992 E39 M5 and with that in said I believe current values are only the beginning of a slow yet steady increase in the E39 M5s value.

I see a lot of post facelift E39 M5 with under 100K going anywhere from $16K-23K depending on condition/colors/maintenance. Funny thing is modded E39 M5s seem to have much higher asking price (especially Dinan equipped) where generally mods don't add much value to the car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There were probably people asking this same question years ago about the E30 M3 vs. E36 M3 values and look what happened there
The comparison does not hold. The E30 M3 was imported in far few numbers, was a true homologation vehicle and an iconic car. I say this as someone who really enjoys his E36.

That said, I don't doubt that very soon there will be at least parity in E39/E60 values. Can't pick up an auto mag without reading something about the excellence of the E39 M5. Best the E60 M5 ever gets is "well, it's an amazing engine."

·
Registered
835 Posts
While I really enjoy my E39 M5 and feel it is a future classic, I can't help but think of how special the V10 E60 is and how there may never be another one like it. It's hard to say which one will end up being the most desirable over time. If I had to guess, I would say they will be equally desirable in the end, obviously depending on colors/options.

·
Registered
470 Posts
All I can say is this will be interesting to see in a few years. I suspect as completely stock ones get harder to find, they will go up in value, much like completely unmodified e30 M3s are going up.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
While I really enjoy my E39 M5 and feel it is a future classic, I can't help but think of how special the V10 E60 is and how there may never be another one like it. It's hard to say which one will end up being the most desirable over time. If I had to guess, I would say they will be equally desirable in the end, obviously depending on colors/options.
+1. They're both unique cars in their own right. I have a feeling that the low mile E60's will start coming back up in value when they get to be over a decade old too. Mainly for that engine and it's exotic feel. Probably the "cheapest" initial way into an engine that resembles an italian exotic. And as all the new cars get suffocated by stricter and stricter emissions laws and efficiency numbers, this will help push the values up as people see there won't be another "normal" production car like this within the grasp of the average Joe. From what I see M5's generally seem to bottom out when they get over about 6-8 years old, depending on mileage.

I think the SMG E60's will fall, but the 6 Speeds should hold value pretty well.

Yeah I've been looking at 2008-2010 E60's and the 6 speeds do hold up a few $$$ more on the prices. I think I'm going to wait for the 2010's to drop a little more in the next couple of years and then go for one to save myself eating some the depreciation hit.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had someone want to trade me straight up for his black on black 06 m5 w/ 76k mikes for my 01 alpine white m5 w/ 60k miles.

I didn't even hesitate to say no.
Bravo to you, I bet yours will continue to appreciate considering Alpine White is one of the rarest colors :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The problem with the E60 is the horrid SMG transmission and the questionable styling (which I happen to like). The E39 M5 by all accounts is really a better car.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Let's hope so. Otherwise my kid may not go to college. LOL

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I wonder if they count it as an asset when considering financial aid? Ha!

·
Registered
236 Posts
This question just popped up in my head...

Do you feel the E39 M5 will one day appreciate over the E60 M5 in the next couple of years? For example a MY00 M5 with 100K miles would be worth the same/more then an MY06 M5 with 100K miles in 5 years perhaps?

P.S. don't post this over in the E60 M5 sub-forum, I would hate to start a heated debate :blabla::biggrin:
I would ask a similar question comparing E34 M5 with the E39 M5. The E34s were the so-called last "hand-built" M-mobiles equipped with the classic 24V inline-6 engine that has the legacy of the original M car engine . . . . . The legendary E26 M1 !

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would ask a similar question comparing E34 M5 with the E39 M5. The E34s were the so-called last "hand-built" M-mobiles equipped with the classic 24V inline-6 engine that has the legacy of the original M car engine . . . . . The legendary E26 M1 !
No one really loves the E34. Hand built it may be, but the S38 just didn't have enough oomph. The magic of the E39 is the hooligan character.

And besides, if you want an S38 powered car, you're probably going to want an E28. I know I do.

Reactions: Little bloke

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was referring more to the current value of the two cars. A nice condition low mileage E34 M5 is selling at comparable values to the similar condition E39 M5s.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
IMHO going from the E34 to E39 there is a significant improvement in aesthetics, performance, and build quality however going from the E39 to E60 the improvements are there however the aesthetics are subjective, and the performance is marginal improvement.

That's why I feel the E34s are at the peak of their appreciation and the E39 will slowly begin to take off and surpass the E60s. The caveat would be the E60s with 6 speeds as they are both rare and more desirable/reliable then the SMG tranny.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The difference will be generational. As with everything, people will get the car that they connect the most with or remember. For instance, I got the E39 because it's the one that I liked the most. The E34 was nice, but not in my radar. I got the M5 in 2007 when I was in my early 20s, so that's what I went for. I suspect a lot of kids in thei early 20s would be drawn to the V10 and, quite honestly, I might as well if I was that age and if I could get one for around 30k. The maintenance costs might worry me a bit but an extended warranty would be great (it saved me with the E39 so it would with the E60).

The E39 shaped my car tastes quite a bit so now I've gone in the completely different direction (smaller, lighter, more nimble, raw) so I'm no longer looking at big sedans, as I'm keeping the E39 forever.

Much like other cars, the market will be dictated by pristine examples. There will be many E39s that have been molested, abused, and not properly maintained. Those will bring the price down, much like they do with E60s. In time, I anticipate the V10 to be the jewel of the E60. Yes, many may not like the styling, but I think that with a bit of work over stock, they can look killer and have great presence on the highway. Same goes for the E39. Tastefully modded ones tend to look much better than the stock ones.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The e39 is kind of "THE" M5-- when someone says m5, it's the car people think of.

The e39 is also pretty good in a lot of ways, including the engine. The e60 has a more special (though perhaps not appropriate) engine, but the car feels big, the interior feels crappier (and has less back seat space), and it's plagued by controversial styling, idrive, and suboptimal transmissions. They'll also likely be more expensive to upkeep.

Long term, I think the e39's will be worth more.

I'm surprised the e28's haven't appreciated more yet. Limited production, old school charm, easy to work on. I would think in the next 5-10 years, they'll be going UP UP UP.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts