BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. I have however been loitering for quite some time, absorbing as much technical information as I can from the knowledgeable and experimental posters across the board!

It strikes me that as our cars get older and lesser in number that the truly dedicated are discovering ways to improve their cars be it in performance or longevity terms, or sometimes, both.

The point of this thread is mostly from a selfish perspective to take advantage of others experience, but nonetheless I hope it is a thread that proves useful for other members too, who plan to keep and fettle there cars forever more.

My car is currently in storage and I haven't seen it since last March when I parked her up. However, I continue to collect parts in anticipation of a full refurbishment; whenever that may be.

It is my intention to take the car back to a factory fresh road car as was originally intended.
Personally, I am not aiming for a track car. Just a fast road, cossetting, 4dr Jekyll and Hyde performance saloon as per 1993.

The aim here then, is to try and place in one thread what you think as collective are the things that BMW got right, and the things they were restricted to or compromised on, due to constraints imposed by the accountants or the available technology of the time.
There may be too much to fit under one thread title, indeed it may require sub-headings in time.
It could be the smallest detail like a change in bolt design or material for a certain fixture point, or a better bracket design, or lighter and better insulation material, or better bare metal coatings, or improved component locations; literally anything to usefully improve the performance and extend the life of what is already one of the finest saloon cars ever produced.

Of course everyone is different and this is not intended to create an argument; if it does the thread will have failed. I just hope we can get a majority agreement on some of things found on the car that can be better than OEM. Or indeed, we may agree that BMW really did get it right in all departments from the perspective of a road car.

I know that my rebuild will be a slow, expensive and frustrating experience. I don't even know when the day will come, but knowledge is important to help plan parts buying and create job lists.

Hope you can help!

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you are intending to do a full stock OE restoration I suggest you start exploring which parts are running low on global stock. For example, the rear shocks will eventually start leaking. There are under 50 remaining in the world supply. Some owners prefer to delete this feature, but if you want to keep it original you may want to look into things like this. I bought all the parts for both sides about a year ago. Not sure when I'll need them but I know when I do I won't have to hunting on eBay or elsewhere. Other pieces like grill panels are inexpensive now but as time passes, parts are going NLA. For example, you can mp longer get many interior trim parts. As far as improvements, the only thing I wished we had on our S38 motors is VANOS....what a difference that would make! I drove my son'd 2001 330i which has dual VANOS (intake and exhaust) and at 225HP that little bugger will throw you back in your seat in 2nd and 3rd gears, all because of variable valve timing technology. But the two things I have over him are the intense audio feedback from the exhaust and once we hit fourth gear I've got about 3K more rpm left to play with! One design flaw may be the timing chain tensioner and I know there is already a known and tested solution for that...just do some searching.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great and exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping to have.
Somehow, I've missed the timing chain guide discussion so already a useful lead in just 1 reply, thank you!
I have already begun collecting everything I can reasonably justify collecting. I have a few NLA parts and the suspension is the next area to address in terms of parts collection. I think a fully working and as new EDC system is what I need.

Another example: The exhaust is something I have thought long and hard about. I adore the sound it makes and I swear as it ages, it gets finer in tone. Mine is 150,000 miles old and still in more than fair condition. Yes it's heavy, but I can't help thinking they got it right. Switching to a lighter weight stainless steel version may not be the right move.

Other things to consider for a kick-off: brakes, bare-metal surface treatment and paint, clutches and flywheels, engine blueprinting, modern audio integration, NVH improvement, steering etc.

Thinking about it, it may be a reference thread that then sub-references other threads that already exist on the covered topics :bookworm:

:aniq:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts