BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost bought one for my E90 a little while ago, but I definitely want one for my M5. Can we get a group buy going or get EAS or IND to build one of these for us? I would love it. If you want one, please comment: "I want one" and then we can talk about it. :D I'll send this thread to a bunch of distributors if we get enough names! I think these would truly make our cars special!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
lol I spoke with IND about this already a few months ago. It's not cheap. Looking through my e-mail threads with them discussing this, and talking to my indy shop about installation, it would be an estimated $8k job for parts and labor.

But the $8k was more-so an estimated $3k for tooling costs (I rounded up to $4k since IND said $3k is an estimate and they would have to talk to their composite shop on a more accurate quote), $1k for a sunroof-less panel, and then $3k for installation. $4k + $1k + $3k = $8k. The $5k parts cost would just be for the first unit...I believe additional units wouldn't have to pay for the $1k panel since IND just needs the panel to develop the mold for the roof.

Reactions: Turbotyler

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
To further add on, the $3k estimate IND gave me (my rounded up $4k) is mainly tooling costs. In order for the price of a unit to drop, IND told me they would need at least 10+ orders to justify lowering the cost.

I wanted to be the first and only CF roof E60 M5, but after talking to IND and doing all the math...didn't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
That M3 is a local to me and the car is simply stunning in person. The owner has told me he is never going to sell it because it is customized to the point it's priceless. He spent about $70k-$80k modifying the car without including the price of the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
lol I spoke with IND about this already a few months ago. It's not cheap. Looking through my e-mail threads with them discussing this, and talking to my indy shop about installation, it would be an estimated $8k job for parts and labor.

But the $8k was more-so an estimated $3k for tooling costs (I rounded up to $4k since IND said $3k is an estimate and they would have to talk to their composite shop on a more accurate quote), $1k for a sunroof-less panel, and then $3k for installation. $4k + $1k + $3k = $8k. The $5k parts cost would just be for the first unit...I believe additional units wouldn't have to pay for the $1k panel since IND just needs the panel to develop the mold for the roof.

i DONT want one lol

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
i DONT want one lol
Yeah a lot of people don't realize how quickly the cost adds up especially doing something that hasn't been done yet for our cars or possibly a one off. iND can do anything you want its just a matter of how much you want to spend! Check out their recent project the SMILES E93 Alpine White M3 vert' that car is serious attention to detail. Nothing on that car was left untouched.

Reactions: chasday

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yeah a lot of people don't realize how quickly the cost adds up especially doing something that hasn't been done yet for our cars or possibly a one off. iND can do anything you want its just a matter of how much you want to spend! Check out their recent project the SMILES E93 Alpine White M3 vert' that car is serious attention to detail. Nothing on that car was left untouched.
Yup...and I did all the questioning asking for everyone haha. Here are some excerpts from my e-mail conversations with IND.

IND - "We do not have an E60 M5 roof panel, but as long as the panel partition is technically a separate piece we can do it. The tooling cost is usually in the $3000 range plus cost of panel."

Randy - "Gotcha, so if I ordered the sunroof-less panel in that getbmwparts link I sent you, that would be used for the tooling. If I were to order two of the e60 CF roofs, would it be cheaper?"

IND - "Correct, but there are still additional cost to the tooling process. This is where the rough estimate comes from. If you are able to locate a headliner and want to further explore pricing I will have our composite shop get a more accurate price. The issue is that in the past it takes quite a bit of orders to recover the tooling cost. Our company is currently not in a position to absorb the tooling cost unless we had at least over 10 guaranteed orders. The tooling cost will not get cheaper with more units ordered, only the unit cost. Tooling cost is typically a fixed and one-time cost."

You're welcome :)

Reactions: The Engineer

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like we could do this. The price if the roof is alrightish, but I saw a thread where a member had one of these installed and it was all way cheaper than 8K. I feel like if we find the right plan of action we can get this at a good price. All said and done the guy with the E90 roof spent about 4K. It seemed as though the work was pretty straightforward and simple. I'll get the pics and write up today.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I feel like we could do this. The price if the roof is alrightish, but I saw a thread where a member had one of these installed and it was all way cheaper than 8K. I feel like if we find the right plan of action we can get this at a good price. All said and done the guy with the E90 roof spent about 4K. It seemed as though the work was pretty straightforward and simple. I'll get the pics and write up today.
My indy shop is doing an E90 CF roof install right now. I think labor is about $2k. Forgot the price of the roof itself, but probably $2k.

Keep in mind though that there hasn't been a full CF roof made for the E60 M5 yet so it will cost more than a E90 M3 CF roof.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Oh for the record, I don't want the CF roof anymore after I had spoken with IND a few months ago lol.

Reactions: The Engineer

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you are going to do the roof, might as well do the hood, trunk lid and fenders. That together might actually drop some decent weight.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This would really set our cars off, but I don't want to lose my sunroof!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've seen this on instagram. The headlights he has on that car are bloody amazing

·
Registered
31 Posts
I almost bought one for my E90 a little while ago, but I definitely want one for my M5. Can we get a group buy going or get EAS or IND to build one of these for us? I would love it. If you want one, please comment: "I want one" and then we can talk about it. :D I'll send this thread to a bunch of distributors if we get enough names! I think these would truly make our cars special!
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/358946-gauging-interest-carbon-fiber-roof-skins-e60.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts