BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 9/99 production with 114K miles and it seems to get the rattle every time I start it now, even after being shutdown for an hour or so. In the past it would do this but only after half to one day or more. It seems like the Vanos accumulator isn't doing it's job. The rattle goes away after a few seconds but is irritating. Before throwing parts at it, is there any way to test the unit for leakdown? I haven't found any leaks in the various hoses and the Vanos solenoid o-rings are only two years old. Could there be a leak internal to the Vanos units?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like it has lost the pressure and it is time for a new one - have the same prob, this is what RAikku told me so it's on my list as well.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
replace the acculmulator with the newer style one if it hasn't already been done. definitely makes a difference, my old 00' m5 used to rattle on startup all the time, my new 02' has yet to rattle once.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replace the acculmulator with the newer style one if it hasn't already been done. definitely makes a difference, my old 00' m5 used to rattle on startup all the time, my new 02' has yet to rattle once.
Would that be the one with the switch apperatus on top 11367832189? Whats the difference other than the switch and new hose and brackets required? Wouldn't a "new" old design work as well?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
what im saying is that its pointless to replace this with the old style part, the acculmulator without the electric valve is useless.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what im saying is that its pointless to replace this with the old style part, the acculmulator without the electric valve is useless.
Ok, so the old style part whether new or old is a POS. The switch is just a line pressure input to the DME correct, that my car isn't set up for correct? Since my car isn't wired for it, the accumulator will still do it's job and I'll just ignore the switch unless I want to wire it to a big red idiot light mounted on the dash to alert me when a hose breaks. :grinyes:

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
no, you cannot use the new style one without the correct wiring. depending on the production date of your m5 you may have the wiring already in place.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, you cannot use the new style one without the correct wiring. depending on the production date of your m5 you may have the wiring already in place.
It's in the original post. 9/99 born on date. What does the electrical portion do that would keep the pressurized part from working? I thought it was a passive switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts