BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to my dealer rep today (pentagon car sales) and he said European production for the next two years especially germany has been allocated. Hope u got your slot in somewhere! Can anyone shed truth to this possible rumor? As far as US production, we can still spec the car out Not later than end of next month for beginning of Sept production. All the info I have at the moment. They have the US launch of the E90 this weekend here for people to spec out and see if they want one. Pretty nice cars as they had several in the showroom today. Will take pics if anyone is interested in the US Spec E90.

·
Registered
476 Posts
R u hearing anything on price/options, etc.

BMW is way too slow in getting this car out. I am starting to lose my interest. A $90K MSRP will certainly get me thinking about something else.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully US production won't be limited. Will find out specs/prices next month, but from what I have seen $85K or so for MSRP.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The dealer I spoke to two nights ago says that BMW will probably reduce production of the M6 and increase production of the M5 to meet the "change in demand" since they announced the price of the M6.

I agree that it's a paltry allocation - I can't see how BMW will meet their target of selling more E60 M5's than E39 M5's ??????

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
The dealer I spoke to two nights ago says that BMW will probably reduce production of the M6 and increase production of the M5 to meet the "change in demand" since they announced the price of the M6.

I agree that it's a paltry allocation - I can't see how BMW will meet their target of selling more E60 M5's than E39 M5's ??????
I would agree that it is frustrating if you have not ordered the car yet and now want one as the wait is sure long. However, is it not a good thing to keep the M5 exclusive. Look at residual values of the E39 M5 (at least in the UK) - it is now something of a performance bargain as you can pick one up (albeit privately with high mileage) for a third of the original price. That's not great residuals for a sports car. Restricting the number of new M5's will obviously help owners when it comes to selling on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Virage, surely the opposite is true. If supply can't meet the demand, prices stay high. The X5 is a prime example of this even after being around for about 5 years. :crying: :crying: :crying:
virage1 said:
I would agree that it is frustrating if you have not ordered the car yet and now want one as the wait is sure long. However, is it not a good thing to keep the M5 exclusive. Look at residual values of the E39 M5 (at least in the UK) - it is now something of a performance bargain as you can pick one up (albeit privately with high mileage) for a third of the original price. That's not great residuals for a sports car. Restricting the number of new M5's will obviously help owners when it comes to selling on.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
warrenatc said:
I spoke to my dealer rep today (pentagon car sales) and he said European production for the next two years especially germany has been allocated. Hope u got your slot in somewhere! Can anyone shed truth to this possible rumor? As far as US production, we can still spec the car out Not later than end of next month for beginning of Sept production. All the info I have at the moment. They have the US launch of the E90 this weekend here for people to spec out and see if they want one. Pretty nice cars as they had several in the showroom today. Will take pics if anyone is interested in the US Spec E90.
In the US, you'll wait a couple years if you aren't on a dealer's list already. Of course, you can probably find a dealer that will 'bump you up' if you pay enough.

My dealer expects about 1 car per month and they already have over 30 people on the list. I haven't heard anything about specifying a car, and I'm first on the list.

·
Registered
82 Posts
virage1 said:
I disgree.

The residuals are only now low because they car has ended production (some time ago).

If they flood the market with M5's like they did with M3 and CSL then THAT will impact residuals.

Porsche have it sorted just right, they care about their customers enough to make sure the supply is controlled so as to ensure there is value in the brand. BMW need to learn a lesson on that one, especially after the CSL cock up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Wolverine said:
In the US, you'll wait a couple years if you aren't on a dealer's list already. Of course, you can probably find a dealer that will 'bump you up' if you pay enough.

My dealer expects about 1 car per month and they already have over 30 people on the list. I haven't heard anything about specifying a car, and I'm first on the list.
i think you are way off in terms of what will happen in the states. waiting lists are notoriously uncorrelated with final 'real' demand as it's easy to put your name on any number of lists with a small refundable deposit. the demand for the car will depend a lot more on normal economic factors--price, strength and confidence in the economic outlook, competitive environment for the car, the car itself, etc...as for bmw they have shown an ability and a willingness to produce more cars to meet perceived demand

based on the above i'm not so sure the new m5 will be all that hard to find.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
cohenfive said:
i think you are way off in terms of what will happen in the states. waiting lists are notoriously uncorrelated with final 'real' demand as it's easy to put your name on any number of lists with a small refundable deposit. the demand for the car will depend a lot more on normal economic factors--price, strength and confidence in the economic outlook, competitive environment for the car, the car itself, etc...as for bmw they have shown an ability and a willingness to produce more cars to meet perceived demand

based on the above i'm not so sure the new m5 will be all that hard to find.
I agree that we'll have to wait and see. But look at the wait in the UK and Europe - I think this will be reflective of what we'll have in the US. I wouldn't count on getting an M5 at MSRP inside of two years if you aren't on a list yet though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
virage1 said:
Look at residual values of the E39 M5 (at least in the UK) - it is now something of a performance bargain as you can pick one up (albeit privately with high mileage) for a third of the original price.
The copy of EVO with the bugatti veyron on the cover has an article about the best drivers car under £20,000. I couldn't believe you could pick up an E39 M5 for the same price as the new Golf GTI...

If only that were the case here in Oz.. new GTI is $40,000.. E39 M5's are still going for over $100,000.. I wanna be a pommie!!! :crying:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
cohenfive said:
i think you are way off in terms of what will happen in the states. waiting lists are notoriously uncorrelated with final 'real' demand as it's easy to put your name on any number of lists with a small refundable deposit.
I believe most reputable buyers and dealers will only take firm orders with non-refundable deposits. The California terms you mention with refundable "deposits" are not a contract, as there is no loss to the customer and he can load up many dealers with ficticious "orders" for M5s. This is no way to do business or to buy a car. A deal is a deal -- both sides should be honorable in their commitments, signatures, and good-faith deposits. No wonder people get mad when the queue is bumped or their "order" is moved down the list...the dealer has noting to lose by selling to the highest bidder, while still having a queue of "orders with refundable deposits" from people who have no intention of buying a car from the dealer.

What ever happened to normal business contracts, where you place an order, put down a deposit, and your order and the price agreed upon were honored -- by both parties?

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's a bit harsh to expect a non-refundable deposit on something you have never seen or dirven, isn't it?

In the UK the deposits are usually non-refundable, but as I was ordering blind the dealership agreed that it would be refunded if the car was not to my liking. There's nothing for them to worry about as they have 4+ years of orders after mine.

Dealers in the UK can't sell over MSRP, please correct me if I'm wrong but that was what I understood from when I was involved with the industry, so this going to the highest bidder shouldn't be an issue here. But there is still the mate of the dealer etc to contend with.

I'm not sure if its the same in the US but the dealers in the UK usually make far more form target bonuses, finance, servicing and after market than the selling of new cars. In premium brands used cars will often carry a larger profit margin than the new ones. So the focus is slightly different, geared to moving what they need rather than what you want.

This is what lead to the change in pre-registration. Volume dealerships would register cars to make the target quotas and sell them for cost, as the bonus was too good to miss. The new 4 month restriction before resale of pre-registered cars was designed to stop this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts