BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could those who are stock (or remember when they were stock) please humor me and answer the following questions?

Assuming DSC is off, and SMG is set to S6, weather is normal (i.e. no cold icy roads)

1. from a dead stop, if you ease onto the gas so that the clutch engages, once you start rolling forward, you stomp on the gas. What happens? Does the car lose traction? For how long?

2. going about 15-20mph (say parking lot speeds) in 1st, stomp on the gas. Does the car lose traction?

3. wide open throttle run from a stop, shifting near redline. What happens when you shift into 2nd? Does it chirp? Or does the rear end come violently loose? Or nothing? How about from 2nd to 3rd?

thanks, I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have brand new continental sport contact 2 tires on the car and the car is stock. The car doesn't lose traction when dry, even in cold weather.

It does chirp from 1-2 when shift in s6 at red line, no traction issue though. 2-3 I can't recall if it chirps, but from the videos I have seen it does.

·
Registered
267 Posts
With new Ventus V12s
1. No loss of control under these conditions.
2. No loss of traction under these conditions
3. she chirps shifting at the max in S6 in just about every gear

With the Ventus' more worn
1. mashing causes wheelspin and a fishtail if not corrected
2. mashing at speed causes dangerous loss of traction and more than one fishtail
3. still chirps into each gear, no loss of traction on shifts

I'm not going to be in the stock category for long... mods on their way

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are you trying to determine if your car is performing normally or not? If so, this is not the best way because I would expect that the answer to your questions depends quite a bit on the type/condition of the tires and road where the acceleration is taking place. A weak car with bad tires on a bad road will spin no matter what, and a strong car with good tires on a good road might not even chirp on a gear change.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I second that notion.

Are you trying to determine if your car is performing normally or not? If so, this is not the best way because I would expect that the answer to your questions depends quite a bit on the type/condition of the tires and road where the acceleration is taking place. A weak car with bad tires on a bad road will spin no matter what, and a strong car with good tires on a good road might not even chirp on a gear change.

·
Registered
550 Posts
With new Ventus V12s
1. No loss of control under these conditions.
2. No loss of traction under these conditions
3. she chirps shifting at the max in S6 in just about every gear

With the Ventus' more worn
1. mashing causes wheelspin and a fishtail if not corrected
2. mashing at speed causes dangerous loss of traction and more than one fishtail
3. still chirps into each gear, no loss of traction on shifts

I'm not going to be in the stock category for long... mods on their way
I have those exact same tires fairly new, however the only wheelspin I've gotten in first was from mashing the gas while going about 2mph....I tend to spin less from a stop, but I also think torque management is saving our butts a little bit, and frequently I will get the traction light that comes on, but I won't break the tires.

Temperature outside, how warm the tires are, road surface type/bumps, gravel, recent rain, etc. all play a major factor in traction...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Could those who are stock (or remember when they were stock) please humor me and answer the following questions?

Assuming DSC is off, and SMG is set to S6, weather is normal (i.e. no cold icy roads)

1. from a dead stop, if you ease onto the gas so that the clutch engages, once you start rolling forward, you stomp on the gas. What happens? Does the car lose traction? For how long?

2. going about 15-20mph (say parking lot speeds) in 1st, stomp on the gas. Does the car lose traction?

3. wide open throttle run from a stop, shifting near redline. What happens when you shift into 2nd? Does it chirp? Or does the rear end come violently loose? Or nothing? How about from 2nd to 3rd?

thanks, I appreciate your input!
Okay so maybe my tires suck or my car just never gets traction. I have PS2s with around 3,000 miles on them brand new basically, i have a tune, intake, and had an exhaust.
1) i will definitley loose traction all the way out of first and a little slip and slide into second, chirp into third.
2) loose traction but not as violent and much more manageable, also chirps into third.
3) This one is when the rear end really kicks out and shifting into second is the same as the first situation, and chirp into third

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd say rolling at 10-15mph, stomp the pedal in 1st in S6, no matter what roads or tires, the wheels are going to spin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Okay so maybe my tires suck or my car just never gets traction. I have PS2s with around 3,000 miles on them brand new basically, i have a tune, intake, and had an exhaust.
1) i will definitley loose traction all the way out of first and a little slip and slide into second, chirp into third.
2) loose traction but not as violent and much more manageable, also chirps into third.
3) This one is when the rear end really kicks out and shifting into second is the same as the first situation, and chirp into third
I have your exhaust now, I enjoy the demon now disturbing the peace in the City every day. ASR FTW.

I cant even figure out how to get my tires to spin lol. What the hell is S6?
Read the owner manual it explains in detail. Turn off the DSC (aka traction), press the power button to get p500, put the car in S mode (aka manual and not auto) Press the gear ratio change button all the way to 6. Slam on the devil (the gas pedal) and see what happens... be careful though.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'd say rolling at 10-15mph, stomp the pedal in 1st in S6, no matter what roads or tires, the wheels are going to spin.

Timely topic, thanks!

Absolutely agree with the statement above - my latest M5 has continentals, which in my opinion are totally useless on this car unless it's a tame commute to work (circa 60 miles round trip) , loss of control in all conditions. Trying to cane them so I can get back to the PS2's which I can not remember ever stepping out of line/

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

Mine doesn´t...there are roads where my car won´t spin a bit, just hook and fly. No need in talking about if it´s in good condition, because he is, he´s strong as a bull, I have a healthy car.

I never had issues with my PS2´s, I had them on my 20" M6 replica wheels...but now I´m running stock 19" and Pirelli P Zero Rosso and they are performing as good as the PS2´s, I´m happy with them.

The thing I noticed is what members already mentioned...it all depends on what kind of roads the car is on. Rough surfaces will grip, more lean ones and some dust on the road will make the car spin like crazy.

So...to sum it up for me and my beast:

1. Depends on the road, sometimes it does, sometimes it will hook and take off.

2. Depends on the road, sometimes it does, sometimes it will hook and take off.

3. Depends on the road, sometimes it does, sometimes it will hook and take off.

My point is that it all depends on the road and temperatures, both weather and tire temps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts