BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic has been looking for a battery drain issue in my car for over a month. He finally found that it was coming from the radio/cd/dvd unit. He unplugged it and the draining stopped. He was telling me that i could not just buy one off ebay and install it. I would need to either fix the unit itself or go to the dealership , give them my old one and install the programmed new one. Is this true? I really dont want to drop $3000+ at the dealership vs 400 bucks on ebay. And for all we know it might not even be the radio, it could be something the radio is going to such as the speaker or amp. Any input would greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
I bought a used CCC unit from BPMSPORT for $1300. My car is a 2006 and the unit I bought was an 08. [email protected] said he was doing a bit of coding on it before he sent it out, but I'm not sure what all that entailed. When I installed it all was fine except my A/C compressor wouldn't come on. Apparently the new CCC unit and the IHKA Control module had a misunderstanding and some errors occurred. A trip to the dealer got that sorted. It cost me an additional $140, but still and all, a lot cheaper than the dealer would have charged to replace my fried CCC. As you've seen, you can get used CCC units for much cheaper than I paid.

As far as battery drain, mine did that after the CCC became non-functional. The lights on the DVD unit would stay illuminated and the cooling fan in the CCC would never stop running. I pulled a fuse to keep that from happening til I got the replacement unit.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I've worked on many cars where the CCC module's VIN doesn't match the rest of the car's modules. That should tell you something...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've worked on many cars where the CCC module's VIN doesn't match the rest of the car's modules. That should tell you something...
Lol. For one thing it tells us that the CCCs are crap and get replaced on the reg. Mine was replaced in 09, before I bought the car, and the replacement went out on me 7 years later.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a used CCC unit from BPMSPORT for $1300. My car is a 2006 and the unit I bought was an 08. [email protected] said he was doing a bit of coding on it before he sent it out, but I'm not sure what all that entailed. When I installed it all was fine except my A/C compressor wouldn't come on. Apparently the new CCC unit and the IHKA Control module had a misunderstanding and some errors occurred. A trip to the dealer got that sorted. It cost me an additional $140, but still and all, a lot cheaper than the dealer would have charged to replace my fried CCC. As you've seen, you can get used CCC units for much cheaper than I paid.

As far as battery drain, mine did that after the CCC became non-functional. The lights on the DVD unit would stay illuminated and the cooling fan in the CCC would never stop running. I pulled a fuse to keep that from happening til I got the replacement unit.
Hi Gavin, thanks for responding, i just checked out their site and it looks like a replacement is going for $1000. Ill give them a call and see if they could code one to my car if i were to buy one off ebay and see if that comes out cheaper. As for your battery drain issue, how did you know the fan was always running? Did you hear it or did you have it pulled out while plugged and noticed it? Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding jcolley, that does answer one question, but my next question is, has anyone here ever done the coding or should that be left to the dealer?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Gavin, thanks for responding, i just checked out their site and it looks like a replacement is going for $1000. Ill give them a call and see if they could code one to my car if i were to buy one off ebay and see if that comes out cheaper. As for your battery drain issue, how did you know the fan was always running? Did you hear it or did you have it pulled out while plugged and noticed it? Thanks
No problem. I didn't know it was a fan until I actually replaced my CCC. I could hear the humming from it but thought it might just be the nav disc spinning. It was only when I got the dash trim pulled and the CCC out that I realized that it was the fan running.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem. I didn't know it was a fan until I actually replaced my CCC. I could hear the humming from it but thought it might just be the nav disc spinning. It was only when I got the dash trim pulled and the CCC out that I realized that it was the fan running.
Interesting, thanks again Gavin, I will deff forward this info to my mechanic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My CCC went out recently. Found one on ebay from the same year M5 as mine. Plugged it in and it worked without any reprogramming. Only thing i dont see anymore is HD radio. Paid $500 for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My CCC went out recently. Found one on ebay from the same year M5 as mine. Plugged it in and it worked without any reprogramming. Only thing i dont see anymore is HD radio. Paid $500 for it.
Thanks for responding BayouM5, when you were shopping for the CCC on ebay, did you buy one with the exact same part number or did you just purchase one that matched your cars year? Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just looked for one that matched the year and the make. It was not the same part number as the one i pulled out. Is there any advantage for having the vin reprogrammed into the new CCC?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just recieved a email from BPM sports and they said

"Thank you for your interest! Yes the replacement CCC unit will need to be reprogrammed to your car. We can do this remotely with the CCC replacement unit installed in the vehicle. You will need a fairly recent laptop with an internet connection where the vehicle is located. A coding cable is also required in order for us to communicate with the vehicle."

They want 300 bucks (if you have the OBD wire) for them to remotely reprogram the CCC which isn't bad i guess.

But now im getting really confused, im hearing some people say they didnt need to reprogram and some saying you need to reprogram. :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Getting it reprogrammed cant hurt, i went into the swap out thinking i would need to do the same. However once i plugged in the unit and everything worked, I didnt bother to have it done. Only functionalty missing was my HD radio, no great loss, everything else, including M functions worked perfectly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kind of a late response but my mechanic took apart the CCC and seemed to have found lots of oxidation and dried up water marks. Not sure where the water marks came from. But he cleaned everything up and put it back together. Battery draining has stopped thank God. But something is still putting a burden on the battery to cause the trip odometer and clock to reset if i don't use the car for 2 days. He believes its from the SMG electric motor. Whenever the door is opened and the SMG primes, the voltage drops to around 12.1 V and then takes about 30 seconds to climb back up. He says its dropping too low. The battery is only a year old also. Could it possibly be bad brushes on the SMG electric motor? Id hate to replace it if it isnt necessary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts