BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends has a C43 AMG. Anyways he told me the other day that he can beat the M, and that it is too old and heavy to compete! This went straight to the heart :crying2:

I am pretty sure the M can hold its own at higher speeds, however, has anyone here had any experience with the C43 V8?

By the way, I am not promoting racing, I probably won't even race, I just was wondering.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
unespekta said:
One of my friends has a C43 AMG. Anyways he told me the other day that he can beat the M, and that it is too old and heavy to compete! This went straight to the heart :crying2:
That sounds like a gauntlet being thrown down.

You have a duty to all M5 owners to find out, and hopefully leave him in your dust:M5launch:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've raced a few C43 in my life. That time I used to drive a M3 E36 1998 Evo SMG. The C43 could not get close to the M3. I can imagine that with the 3.6 M5. The M5 will probably be faster than the C43. The weight are prety even.,,

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!

unespekta said:

I am pretty sure the M can hold its own at higher speeds, however, has anyone here had any experience with the C43 V8?

By the way, I am not promoting racing, I probably won't even race, I just was wondering.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Note that the weight is less and it has less HP, but the torque of a V8 helps.

The 0-60 is a dead match for a 3.8 M5, as is the 0-100.

Therefore the driver will play a huge role, plus remember the AMG is an Automatic, so it will pretty much hit its figures every time.

Your car has met its match in performance, but bet you that you wouldn't swap. Therefore in your head, the M5 is better! Be a shephard, not a sheep!

From Supercars.net.
Quoted:
In Detail
price $52 750 USD
engine V8
valvetrain SOHC 3 Val / Cyl.
displacement 4266 cc / 260.3 cu in
bore 89.9 mm / 3.54 in
stroke 84.0 mm / 3.31 in
compression 11.0:1
power 225.2 kw / 302.0 bhp @ 5850 rpm
hp per litre 70.79 bhp per litre
bhp/weight
torque 409.5 nm / 302.0 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
redline 6000
drive wheels Front Engine / RWD
body / frame Unit Steel
front brakes Vented Discs w/ Vacuum Assist & ABS
f brake size 335 mm / 13.2 in
r brake size 300 mm / 11.8 in
front wheels F 43.2 x 19.0 cm / 17.0 x 7.5 in
rear wheels R 43.2 x 21.6 cm / 17.0 x 8.5 in
front tire size 225/45ZR-17
rear tire size 245/40ZR-17
steering Recirculating Ball w/ Variable Power Assist
weight 1533 kg / 3380 lbs
wheelbase 2690 mm / 105.9 in
front track 1590 mm / 62.6 in
rear track 1483 mm / 58.4 in
length 4506 mm / 177.4 in
width 1720 mm / 67.7 in
height 1425 mm / 56.1 in
transmission 5-Speed Auto
gear ratios 3.59:1, 2.19:1, 1.41:1, 1.00:1, 0.83:1
final drive 3.07:1
top speed 249.4 kph / 155.0 mph
0 - 60 mph 5.9 seconds
0 - 100 mph 14.9 seconds
0 - 1/4 mile 14.4 seconds
epa city/hwy 17 / 22

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Just an afterthought.

The words "in a straight line" spring to mind...

Suggest that you both do 50 laps of Nurburgring and then race on lap 51. That'll give you a winner!

Ivan.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing, its a 99 so it doesn't have the speed shifter thing. It has the seperate 1 ,2 ,3, 4 notches which are basically useless.

I know the M is becoming performance wise low in the food chain, however, thats not why I have it anyways. I still get confused looks all the time. it gives a lot of neck problems to people :eek:h: Nothing beats the driving of the stealth heavy clutch hard shifting gas guzzler rare M5! :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ivan. According to your figures the E34 3.8 has 38 more bhp , gives away 6 ft/lbs of torque and is 100 kg heavier. Your quoted 0-60 of 5.9 matches the M5 but 0-100 in a 3.8 is 13.6 according to a number of mags and sources. I'd be quite willing to run against one. In fact I think I may well have about 18 months ago or so, results = the higher the gear the further behind the Merc got.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hi Ralph.

My M5 Gold Book says quarter mile in M5s is 99Mph in 14.9 for the 3.6 and maybe 1/2 to 1 second faster in the 3.8.

Remember that was factory fresh with a lorry full of spare clutches and a brutal BMW test driver!

Against the newer slushbox, you will lose! Find some twisty roads, the E34 can keep up with the E39, so the Merc will have trouble, but stay away from dragstrips!!!

I agree though that 4th gear is astonishing in an M5, so would like to see a race from 100mph to 155mph, but that will be gear ratios helping out! Trouble is, that's hardly a real world event.

LOL :)

Ivan.

P.S. Ralph, I know you like the Dorset Way. Watch out for a unmarked E39 530d.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
IvanDias said:
Hi Ralph.

My M5 Gold Book says quarter mile in M5s is 99Mph in 14.9 for the 3.6 and maybe 1/2 to 1 second faster in the 3.8.

Remember that was factory fresh with a lorry full of spare clutches and a brutal BMW test driver!

Against the newer slushbox, you will lose! Find some twisty roads, the E34 can keep up with the E39, so the Merc will have trouble, but stay away from dragstrips!!!

LOL :)Ivan.

Hi Ivan

I've corrected my mistake. Still the 3.8 comes into its own in 3rd gear.
1/4 in 14.4 is what I've heard but I'm not going to try to beat or match that.

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Interesting thread recently I had a nice straight line tussle with a C32 and trashed the guy twice!

Now I know that an E34 is not the fastest thing on the planet but most people do not recognise it that easily and as I crept up on him at the red light he was slightly ahead and probably assumed that my 11 year old wagon was not much cop ( Touring with no badges).

But as I peeled away from the lights reaction and speed of shifting was a factor also leaving the lights with right revs.

Then as we slowed for the lights he was behind me again the away we went until the speed camera and then we were off again and I decided to call it a day so he shot past me and nearly crashed in to another car in his effort to pass me.

But I bet it was a shock to be passed and trashed by an 11 year old car! and an estate at that.....:M5thumbs:

This only started because the road narrows from 4 lanes to 3 and I was not willing to be squeezed out as has happened to others.

But fun to exercise the car and have some fun at the same time.

Simon

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree though that 4th gear is astonishing in an M5, so would like to see a race from 100mph to 155mph, but that will be gear ratios helping out! Trouble is, that's hardly a real world event.
Ivan,i don't know where you're from,but in Holland and Germany those are the speeds between which most of my races are.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Cor-Jan said:
Ivan,i don't know where you're from,but in Holland and Germany those are the speeds between which most of my races are.
I usually am not hat fond of straight line racing, but in early May I had an interesting opportunity against a new model A8 W12 Lang. Let me just say that I expected the A8 to be faster then it really was and that with three persons in the M5 with an average weight of more then average and the driver in the A8 was alone.

I do not think that a C43 can win from a well maintained and well driven E34 ///M5. Not in a straight line and certainly not on mountain passes / cols or country roads.

Some time ago, my brother raced one in his former (stock) S2 coupe (B3 with 220hp). The C43 was only a tad faster.

@Cor-Jan,

I tried to Email you last weekend, but my response bounced back.

·
Registered
885 Posts
raymond woertman said:
I usually am not hat fond of straight line racing, but in early May I had an interesting opportunity against a new model A8 W12 Lang. Let me just say that I expected the A8 to be faster then it really was and that with three persons in the M5 with an average weight of more then average and the driver in the A8 was alone.

I do not think that a C43 can win from a well maintained and well driven E34 ///M5. Not in a straight line and certainly not on mountain passes / cols or country roads.

Some time ago, my brother raced one in his former (stock) S2 coupe (B3 with 220hp). The C43 was only a tad faster.

@Cor-Jan,

I tried to Email you last weekend, but my response bounced back.
Not much duel carriage-ways with traffic lights in my neighbourhood Raymond,so apart from the occasional bike -race on the local roads,not much other opportunities.

I think they still got my old e-mail.I'll pm my new one.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Cor-Jan said:
I'm from England, home of the speed camera, 70mph maximum on a motorway, 40-50 on most dual carridgeways anywhere near a town and where my neighbour recently got a fine and three points for 57mph in a 50mph zone!!!

These days I'm saving the old girls power up for a trip to the Ring, hopefully late this year. She's fifteen years old and has proved her worth a million times over, so I rarely bite these days*

Ivan.

* Umm... except for a silver 530d V8 E39 slowing down, then roaring away down a dual carridgeway away from me, I overtake, he hits traffic at next roundabout, I cruise along at 75, he ROARS up behind me to 6 feet away at the next roundabout, I leave him for dust down the dual carridgeway, stopping at 80ish to cruise, so what does he do? Only bloody flashes blue lights from in the grill, pulls up alongside me, passenger waggles a finger at me, overtakes, pulls of the next sliproad and lets me go!! Seriously, I'm racing no-one anymore til I hit the Nordschlief!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
* Umm... except for a silver 530d V8 E39 slowing down, then roaring away down a dual carridgeway away from me, I overtake, he hits traffic at next roundabout, I cruise along at 75, he ROARS up behind me to 6 feet away at the next roundabout, I leave him for dust down the dual carridgeway, stopping at 80ish to cruise, so what does he do? Only bloody flashes blue lights from in the grill, pulls up alongside me, passenger waggles a finger at me, overtakes, pulls of the next sliproad and lets me go!! Seriously, I'm racing no-one anymore til I hit the Nordschlief![/QUOTE]
--------------

:haha: thats amusing. nice that he let you off, he probably admired the cars performance and understated looks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I had a 3.8 M5! :1:

I don't think the C43 can touch it.

Oh well, I'm getting a E39 M5 soon, shouldn't be a problem to smoke him!

·
Registered
885 Posts
* Umm... except for a silver 530d V8 E39 slowing down, then roaring away down a dual carridgeway away from me, I overtake, he hits traffic at next roundabout, I cruise along at 75, he ROARS up behind me to 6 feet away at the next roundabout, I leave him for dust down the dual carridgeway, stopping at 80ish to cruise, so what does he do? Only bloody flashes blue lights from in the grill, pulls up alongside me, passenger waggles a finger at me, overtakes, pulls of the next sliproad and lets me go!! Seriously, I'm racing no-one anymore til I hit the Nordschlief!
Nice little race story.I still love it when they'r smiling and shake there heads in disbelief when you pull away,realising there's no way they can keep up :wroom: .

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Cor-Jan said:
Nice little race story.I still love it when they'r smiling and shake there heads in disbelief when you pull away,realising there's no way they can keep up :wroom: .
? Helicopter

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
136 Posts
The M5 3,8 will take the C43 AMG and a C36 AMG too.

When I lived in Germany I was going home from Munich to Augsburg and there was a C32 AMG in the front of me. We were going down hill so I keept up with him. It was Autobahn so the speeds were between 170-240 km/h. He didn´t pull away one meter, so I was really happy.

Daniel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts