BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock clutch wore out after only 15,000 miles. Got it replaced under warranty. Have noticed lately that my shifting (especially from neutral to 1st and from 2nd to 3rd is not terribly smooth. Seems like a little catch before I can ram it into gear (worst from neutral to 1st). If the stock clutch is so weak, is it possible that my gearbox could also wear out? Or could it simply be my shifter? Anybody else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
A likely cause is that the clutch hydraulic line has a bit of air in it, so that the clutch isn't fully disengaging even though the pedal is all the way down. If you know how to bleed it yourself, I'd give that a try first. If you don't, simply bring it back to the dealer who did the clutch install, describe the problem and ask them to check among other things to see if there's air in the clutch hydraulic system (there really isn't a way to check other than to bleed it, which is what you want them to do).

Yes, M5 transmissions wear out like on any other car but what you describe would be premature failure if it is. More likely it's something simple like air in the clutch line. With a worn clutch you probably had gotten away with it for a time since the old clutch surface had less material on it and the auto-adjuster can only make up so much for the wear.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've noticed unusually "notchy" shifting on my 2000 lately.. Sometimes if I try to casually shift with like two fingers it does'nt quite go in.. It requires some force.. I remember my 5281 having the smoothest clutch and shifting ever!! I miss that.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Two things can cause rough shifting:

1) dragging clutch. If the clutch does not fully disengage when you push the pedal to the floor, the transmission will shift roughly and the synchros will give out in a few thousand miles (requiring a new $5K tranny).

To test: On level ground with no braking, push the clutch pedal to the floor with the engine running. See if you sense the car try to move after you put it in a gear. If so, the clutch is dragging and it MUST be fixed immediately. You should never feel the car lurch (move) when a gear is engaged. Hydraulic system problem (external) or faulty clutch mechanicals (internal) can cause this serious problem.

2) Cold weather. The transmission fluid thickens and will make shifting difficult when cold. If the transmission shifts like butter after 10-20 miles of driving, this is probably the problem. Forget about it...but do not jamb or otherwise force the transmission into gear. Use some finesse & patience until it warms up to you. This will maximize lifespan.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine feels like it literally grinds into gear when its a cold first run.. But then eventually gets smoother.. Dubai is NEVER cold though..:3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts